Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bennubird

Optimizing Scenery

I have read a great deal and learned much from these forums, and I am grateful for the information.I have for the past couple of days attempted, with little success, to "optimize" Monastir 2005 - Tunisia by Christoph Schipke, Bernhard Kulisch, Frank Seifert. You can grab that scenery here at AVSIM for free. A great scenery, however, when the terminal area is in focus my FPS drops to 10 or sometimes lower. What I've done:Reduced the resolution of the larger textures - including those for the terminalReduced the number of pixels in many of the texturesRemoved several bgls for objects - vehicles, people, static aircraft, etc.Result:FPS remains low.I would appreciate any suggestions!Thanks!Charles

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Charles, I do not have that package, but I notice that it is 17 MB, undoubtedly much more when un-zipped.Generally, the problem with scenery like that is the quantity and size of textures. Too many of them and too big creating a drain on the resources of the graphics card.You have done the basic work to remedy this, but you do not specify if you converted the textures to DXT1 format. I always do this and almost always get good results.Could you indicate the size of the texture folder before and after your modifications? This is a good indicator of the impact on performance.Best regards.Luis

Luis,You have given me a couple of things to check and to do. There are several textures perhaps as many as 15 or 20 that are still around 283K. I did not touch those instead I focused on even larger textures - 500k and up. The textures that I have reduced are all under 100K. However, when I converted them, I changed them to DXT3 rather than DXT1. Perhaps I should try converting the rest of the textures and then report back with my results.Thanks Luis its good to know that generally I had the right idea.Charles