Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gordius

EZ-Landclass Grid Placement

Guest Gordius

First of all thanks to those that have posted regarding Landclass, I have been reading the threads that I have been able to find and they have been extremely helpful in collecting the right tools and learning the basics.I have one question, I have a feeling I have missed something in the Documentation / SDKs.Are the 256 X 256 grids set within FS or can I / do I place them wherever I like. Sorry, hard to explain so I will give an example.Project 1 - Initial Point N50 W50, the call of that coordinate is FP58Project 2 - Initial Point N50 W101, the cell of that coordinate is R58If the areas are set within the sim my job is pretty straight forward however if I am doing something wrong I will probably end up either with overlapping "Projects" or have gaps.Sorry if that doesn't make sense. Looking at it on the monitor it is easy to see but here in words is not :)Andrew

Hi Andrew,the FS world grid is fixed system of nested levels of cell spacing. Thus, the cell spacing (resolution) changes but the dimensions - 256x256 remain constant.The land class files are based on the LOD5 grid and EZ-Landclass can only work on a single-LOD5 section basis. That is, when you start a new project and enter a coordinate it will select the corresponding LOD5 grid section and that's what you'll be working in.LOD5 cells are always 2.8125 degrees latitude tall and 3.75 degrees longitude wide.If you want to know the spatial extent of a specific LOD5 cell you can use either Steve Greenwood's EXCEL tool - http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/downloads/lodcalc.zip - or Jim Keir's LWMViewer - http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer.html (version 1 does the job) - , which will load the local LOD5 files via the File > Open by Coordinates function. Have fun "land classing"!Cheers, Holger

Guest Gordius

Thanks Holger, I had a feeling you would be the one to reply. You seem to be living in the Forums lately, son't forget to fly :)BTW I am using both Tools you mention but still trying to get used to them all.Andrew