Sign in to follow this  
Guest jimjones

FSX Resample/Night Texture Frustrations

FSX Resample/Night Texture FrustrationsI have successfully used resample to produce Day photoreal scenery. The area is fairly large, about 900 square miles. To produce night textures I do a great deal of processing of the Day textures to produce a set of night textures. Unfortunately, some Paint Shop Pro processes needed to get the desired appearance shuts down PSP for lack of memory.Alternate step one was to split the Day file into 2 parts so that I could produce the night textures successfully. It was a bit of a hassle to go thru through the steps to get those two sets of photo sceneries to match up. I tested this with Day textures during the day to better see the result. However, there seems to be a conflict of some sort, perhaps an overlap of NullValue textures, that causes a row of tiles between the two sets of sceneries to appear a different lighter color. Failure one.Alternate step two was to downsize the Day image from 4m/pixel to 8m/pixel allowing successful processing of a night texture in PSP. So that I could see what was happening I again altered the Day textures and downsized them to 8meter/pixel. Now the textures appeared , during the day, as a jagged circle of square textures, comprised of the default day textures, around the aircraft. In the distance the phototextures where as they should be, the correct textures and aligned well. Slewing quickly to another location the textures were normal beneath the aircraft momentarily. Stopped at the new location the default textures again took over the local area. Failure two.Essentially giving up, I decided perhaps to not produce photoreal night textures and use the default night textures. Now, at night, the default night textures do not show fully over the area, just most of the darkened Day photoreal textures with a checkerboard of a few default night textures scattered about at random near the aircraft. Failure three.Conclusions:There seems to be a conflict between adjacent user generated photosceneries created by resample that displays odd color tiles between the sceneries.FSX does not like to mix 8meter/pixel photoscenery with the Default scenery.Either my PC and Graphics card is too slow to display night default textures with photoscenery, or there is a conflict between day user generated scenery and default night textures.The use of photosceneries puts a big burden on the PC, especially if both day and night photosceneries are used. This results in blurred images that never displays the highest resolution in the textures and perhaps does not allow default night textures to show fully with user Day sceneries.These are the conclusions of a novice user of resample, so there may be some obvious, not to me, misuse of the resample program with FSX.Comments and corrective actions are welcome, ie. HELP.Jim

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Jim,Congratulations on having gotten so far. It is encouraging that people are making headway in spite of the difficulties.Don't despair - help is on the way. There seem to be some minor problems with Resample that are on the way to being fixed.Just a bit of patience and there should be a new version available soon.Best regards.Luis

Thanks Luis for the encouragement.Success on some counts:I worked with a smaller area for Lexington, Ky and managed to generate a single BGL containing both day and night textures. The SDK example shows how this is done in a single inf file. The transition from day thru dusk to night is nice and works well.On another note, I found a way to process my 900 sq mile file for night textures in PSP in a different manner to avoid memory overflow. That night image has now been resampled as an individual night BGL file. It works well with the corresponding day BGL file created earlier.Jim