Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

First faltering steps with FSX scenery

Spent a fair bit of time cruising around and so far I am very happy with FSX (I will be happier when I get a system that can really run it - but I don't think I am alone there!)However I was eventually forced to try and do something about the offensive bright yellow patches of (sand?) which seem to surround all the airstrips in Central California.I found a program called FSX_KML which does just what I need with some assistance from Google Earth (Plus). Very cool and very easy for a non-code head like me... I am on the verge of being able to replace airport boundaries with more realistic versions, and, if I can find the right texture, changing them for something less yellow (there do seem to be a lot of very yellow FA texture tiles in FSX)But now of course I need to exclude the runways because they are wrong; there is an "exclude everything" option in FSX_KML but it doesn't remove the runways, is there a way to do this? The airfield I am working on doesn't have a runway, I want to simply put down a dirt polygon.I have all the tools for doing it in FS9 but I don't think they work with FSX?Any ideas?Geoff

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Geoff,Good job, hope it works out for you.To get rid of the airport bounds, draw a small polygon that intersects them and tag it as Exclude_Airport_Backgrounds_Flatten_ExcludeAutoGenand that should get rid of it.The only way to eliminate the runways is with a BGLComp file though, or use AFCAD.Best regards.Luis

Haha!Yes, you can use AFCAD. You have to cheat (and have FS9) - open the airport you want to change from FS9 remove (or modify?) the runways, taxiways etc then save the AFxxx.bgl file into FSX.Geoff