Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

FS2004 Resample: Interested in BGL files only - HELP?

Hi there,I am in the process to create about 2700 BGL files for photo scenery with seasons and lightmaps using the FS2004 resample tool, each BGL covering a square of occupied (i.e. non water) landmass at QMID level 7. I am going to sort these BGLs into a folder structure similar to that in FSX (96 folders, split at QMID 4).The idea is that I get global coverage for my satellite texture photoscenery project (Google Earth or MSN Virtual Earth).I found the process to be painstakingly slow, as RESAMPLE.EXE tends to spit out a gazillion of .tga files in the process and takes 3 hours to process single BGL. At that rate it will take me a year to achieve global coverage - and the electricity bill will be shocking!Is there a way to prevent RESAMPLE from creating .tga files? - I am only interested in the BGLs! And the BGL is finalized only after all .tgas have been writen. So pressing CTRL-C in the process actualy corrupts the BGL file.Is the file format of FS 2004 scenery BGLs documented somewhere? Maybe I can create one reference BGL and just patch the coordinates in there to create all the remaining files.Christian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Christian.A photoreal BGL ( for FS9 and Earlier ) is simply a landclass BGL using value 254 for NULL, and value 253 for non-seasonal photoreal ( or value 252 for seasonal texture sets ).Usually, we use resample from the FS2002 SDK, as it just works better ( no black edges in the resulting photoreal textures ). But if you just want the BGLs, then FS9's resample should work just fine.If you look at a photoreal bgl with TMFViewer, you'll see this is true.So just populate the entire LOD5 ( QMID7 ) with the appropriate value ( 252 ), and generate your landclass BGLs.Dick

Thanks, that would explain the fixed width and height (rougly 1 square kilometer) of the phototerrain tiles as these have to line up with landclass based tiles.I will be looking into creating landclass files only as this seems to be the quicker route.Christian