Sign in to follow this  
Guest lionheart777

Learning G2K4, have some questions

Guest lionheart777

Hey guys,I am learning to use G2K4 or Ground2K4 and have a couple of quesitons.I have learned the bulk of G2K4 from a tutorial by Birdman at; http://ukscenerydesign.co.uk/Downloads/Tut...ort&Flatten.htmBrilliant tutorial, but its only for the first ground poly. I wish to make a green field in the middle around my WWII airfield, then make a thick forest surrounding it (Autogen forest texture).I got it to function once, but then I think I messed up my layers.Also, I think I was way off on my main starting out texture I used, as my huge airfield is a tiny patch in the startup texture, (green grass bitmap). I used 74 meters per two pixels. I guess I need to massively reduce that. Is there a way for calculating this first so you have the airfield in the middle of the green texture and not overly small or large?Second, how do the layers work? Which one is layer one, and how do you know to make the last layer last? Also, is AFCAD layers calculated into this? Another words, would AFCAD be layers 1 and two? (Runway and ground texture). I do hope to delete the ground apron in AFCAD, though I will keep my concrete tarmac area around the hangers.Third, I have the 5.X build, downloaded from SHOF. Is there a newer build? (I know there was a counterfiet out, and I am not interested in that one). Mine though seems to be missing the 'Duplicate' or clone button (blue and white button for duplicating lines/polygons) which makes it hard to duplicate the LWM to make the VPT2 ground poly. (I have to make one by hand right now, which isnt the best trace over the ground area I am making).Fourth, do we delete the big start-out polygon? I dont seem to know if that stays or goes with the assembly when compiling to BGL.Many thanks for your advice on this,BillLionheart Creations

Guest lionheart777

Okay.. Got most of this now.One last thing plagues the project. Getting the grass to show in the center of the forest.I have used layers as well as numbering the names of each layer to get the layers to work, and nothing seems to happen. I can get either grass to show, or forest, but not both.Is there a trick to getting the center layer to show up? It 'should' be working. I have tried everything per the tutorials I have found, (2), and the program still doesnt seem to produce the dual forest/grass requirement for the project.Also, oddly, I cant get options to do a VTP1, only a VTP2. Seems to be locked out. I have build 5.32 from SHOF.BillLHC

Hi Bill,the latest version of G2K4 is 5.6: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...util&DLID=87880VTP1 doesn't exist anymore in FS2004. If you're coding for FS2002 you should use an older version of G2K4.Regarding layers, the stuff below is from a prvious post of mine: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchOver the course of the past years I've developed my own systems of setting layers for my landscape enhancements. It tends to change a bit for each project but the basic version goes like this:========================VTP2 lines 3 - invisible road and railroad cuts4 - invisible shorelines with wave action16 - utility corridors 17 - shorelines I 18 - shorelines II (e.g., piers) 19 - streams 20 - railroads 21 - trails22 - minor roads (mostly dirt and gravel) 23 - minor roads 24 - primary roads 25 - highways 26 - road bridges 27 - railroad bridges VTP2 polygons 5 - various texture types without night lights that overlap water bodies 6 - various texture types with night lights that overlap water bodies 10 - industrial areas (night lights) 11 - settlements (night lights) 12 - golf courses and forested parks 13 - forestry clearcuts and airport grassy areas and ski slopes14 - gravel pits and hydro dams concrete textures 15 - muskegs16 - glaciers and snowfields 17 - islands in rivers and lakes and ski area forest "islands" 18 - airfield areas with bare soil or rocks 19 - airfield areas on top of layer 18 (e.g., grassy spots) 20 - industrial or airfield areas (w/ night lights) on top of layer 12+=======================The main points are to avoid default layers as much as possible (to prevent conflicts with my own default exclusions or those of other add-ons), keeping thematic line/poly types separate, and differentiating between VTPs with and without night lights. Of equal importance is that I keep different layer types in separate project files, for example:_base:3: bridge and airport flattens5: industrial areas (VTP2 custom textures)9: utilitiesalso LC and WC_roads:3: land masks5: cutblocks, golf courses, forested parks, airfield grassy areas9: roads_urban:3:5: urban settlements with landclass textures9: railroads_water:3: lakes and rivers5: dams, dikes, islands9: shorelinesalso excludesSometimes it's easier to create the project as one file and separate the themes later on; it depends on the complexity of the project.For the installation I separate the compiled bgl files into a lower priority folder (_base, _roads, _water) and a higher priority folder (_urban and excludes).Cheers, Holger

Guest lionheart777

Thanks Holger,Very much appreciated. That explains why I couldnt get VTP1's, lol. Good to know.What about this rumour now that these may not work in FSX? Have you found problems on these with the new sim?Thanks again,Bill