Sign in to follow this  
arno

3D Studio Max or GMax?

Hi Efrain,Yes, the SDK contains exporter tools for 3DS Max 7 or 8 (does not work with version 9). And still for GMax as well of course.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,So happy to see that you are still around! I will be visiting your website very soon... ;-)As for my question, cool! Personally, which one you think is best for us scenery designer? GMax or 3D Studio Max?Also, remember how we used to create the photographic airport terrain, by using a grid of polygons? Is that the proper way to go about it with FSX? Any new developments in this area, now that FSX has 1m capability?Efrain Ruiz, VAA1CEO/PresidentVirtual American Airlineshttp://www.virtualaa.com

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Hi Efrain,>As for my question, cool! Personally, which one you think is>best for us scenery designer? GMax or 3D Studio Max?Unless you have access to 3DS Max for something else, I would go for GMax as it is completely free. And with both you can create the same FS objects in the end (it is the gamepack that is limiting, not the modelling tool).>Also, remember how we used to create the photographic airport>terrain, by using a grid of polygons? Is that the proper way>to go about it with FSX? Any new developments in this area,>now that FSX has 1m capability?The FsX resample can make mesh photo scenery with resolutions of up to 7 cm, so that might be an alternative now. Although in some cases the style of polygons used in the past is still the best to get a good result. One thing to note, these ground polygons must be split into pieces of maximum 100x100 meters, else the curvation of the earth gives trouble.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog