Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

Now we see it, now we don't! Invisible gmax/XML/BGL sce...

(veteran newbie alert! :D )Greetings,coming back to FS9 scenery design after a loooong break, I find that I have forgotten my basics. Can someone please refresh my memory?The case: I wanted to do a trivial and quick (or so I thought) job of creating just one building (an extra hangar for Gatwick EGKK) in gmax, then exporting to XML/MDL, then converting to BGL. Very simple. it doesn't even use textures.And it actually worked out just fine.The problem is that I see the building in FS9 only when located in certain places, in others I don't. The latter including the one (of course) where I want it :D.Everything is equal except the coordinates in the XML file (as exported from gmax and manually edited, no ObjectPlacer or such involved). So it must be some external factor, not an issue with the building itself.I have disabled all non-default scenery, and the scenery.cfg entry for my BGL is at the end (i.e. at top priority in the Scenery Library).Still, I find that the building is not visible e.g. near the Heathrow EGLL and the Gatwick EGKK airports (whereas London City EGLC vicinity is fine).Could this be an Exclude issue?But my (vague) memory is that Exclude affects autogen, not gmax/XML based scenery. Or?Or could it be an AFCAD file effect? But even if I move the building quite a bit away from e.g. the actual EGKK airport area, it still doesn't turn up.So, what am I overlooking here?Under what other circumstances will a functioning BGL scenery item not be visible in FS9? Thanks for all pointers!(I tried Google and FAQ, of course, but can't find the right search terms, it seems.)Cheers,MartinThis is where I wanted the building:N51* 9.05' W0* 11.77' not OK, at EGKK(moving outside the actual airport area did NOT help)Here are the other coordinates where I tested.Latitude was always N51* 30' E0* 30' OKE0* 00' OK, near EGLC! W0* 30' not OK, near EGLL W1* 00' OKW1* 30' OKW2* 00' OK

"Very simple. it doesn't even use textures"Probably not your issue, but I've had things dissapear at certain angles sometimes if I've exported them early in the building process before texturing. It's always just a matter of slewing around a bit though and it's normally just a narrow corridor from which they will dissapear briefly. Just a thought...Jim