Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Automatic terrain conforming on larger 3D scenes (FS2004)

Is there any way to create a large 3D scene where the objects will automatically adjust there locations in the z-direction to match the underlaying terrain mesh (in FS2004 - although I'm sure this is a common thing in FSX)? I'm talking about the use of smaller planes/polygon regions (as opposed to full Areas) to represent the ground/roads around a collection of 3D buildings, especially in areas of complex hilly terrain. The only method I've found that has worked is to manually create the 3D terrain by hand as a "shell" that fits down over the underlaying FS2004 terrain. I got excited about the "Flaten" option in MakeMDL but this didn't do anything for me (wrong type of flaten I suppose).

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jonathan,if you have the footprints of the objects as polys then you can use Slartibartfast to assign an altitude to each poly using the average elevation of the underlying terrain: http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/index.htmlI'm not so sure though that the result would look that great given FS9's limited terrain resolution, even with TMVL=21, unless the objects (and thus flattens) are fairly large. Instead, for smaller houses we've been using "basements" (model extensions below the ground reference point) to prevent partially floating buildings. Cheers, Holger