Sign in to follow this  
Guest DLM9000

Texture Replacement, need help

Guest DLM9000

I am beyond myself. I just spent two hours trying to replace the grass textures in Austrian Airports and could not get it to work. Something so simple, and I can't get it.The default grass texture is way too green and does not blend into the surroundings. Anything I do with the two textures, causes the sim to CTD.I opened the texture in DXTBMP and converted to BMP.I edited the texture in Photoshop CS2. I saved the file as a BMP (16 bit) and then tried to import.CTDThen I converted it to an Extended BMP with DXTBMP in every format it supports, each time, CTD.Can someone help me? My favorite place to fly is Germany and Austria, and I would like to get the Austrian Airports looking a little more like German Airports and not like cartoons. (the grass anyway, the airports in Austrian Airports are great. )The sad part is that I was able to do this about three years ago, and I can not remember what I did to make it work.I am editing the grasssu (Grass Summer) and the grassdksu files. I edited the grasssu and it worked, but this seams to only be the grass around the runway (close proximitey). When I edit the grassdksu file, CDT. I am preserving the size (256x256).Any help is appreciated.Dennis Mitchell

Hello Dennis,Is this for FS 9 or FS X?I cannot find any grasssu or grassdksu files in the default textures, so I assume that those are specific to the scenery packages. Could you please indicate if they are in the local scenery folder or in the default texture folder?In FS 9, the default airport background was a mask, but I don't remember which texture was used - I would have to look it up. I did a lengthy post here in this forum on this matter a few years ago.In FS X, it is also a mask, and the texture displayed is a land class ground texture and depends on the surrounding land class values. You can find a table with the complete listing of FS X airport background masks in the terrain tutorial in the Avsim library.In any case, after editing one of these default files, you should probably make sure that you save it as a DXT1-compressed bitmap.Best regards.Luis

Guest DLM9000

This is FS9 with the add-on "Austrian Airports 1"The textures are in the local scenery directory. (They come with the scenery. When I open the textures in DXTBMP they are 256x256 16 bit.I will try to save it as a DXT1.Dennis