Sign in to follow this  

Creating a mesh of world wide spot heights

I have spot height data for most of the world.What I want to do is create a mesh that just contains the spot heights.I'm not sure how good it would look (probably very "pointy"), but I want to see.So my question is can I create a mesh that adds spot heights but lets any other mesh show through (except where my spot heights are).In effect I want my mesh to be "transparent" in most places except for the spot heightsAny tips? And if my mesh has a lot of "transparency" will it be quite small?It would be nice to have a single mesh file that contains spot heights for mountains all over the world, epsecially if that mesh is quite small.Of course this mesh would be freeware, so any help is appreciated. Matthew.

Hi Matthew.There is no transparent mesh elevation value. The SDKs are quite misleading about this. The line:NullCellValue = -9999has no meaning. If you try to force a resample to an elevation of -9999, resample will give you a value of 0 for each instance of -9999. If you resample to -9998 it will correctly show that elevation in TMFViewer... but shows as elevation 0 in the sim... I'm not sure what the negative elevation limit is, but it is hardcoded. So even if you hack a bgl to force all instances of -9998 to -9999, the sim will still display 0 for those instances.Oddly -9999 is a transparent value for LWM elevation used in lakes for FS2002.Dick

Hi Matthew,Just spotted your question for the first time. It is my understanding that every mesh bgl file must cover at least one LOD square in its entirety. There is no provision for "transparency" in the elevation system. The terrain engine will render the bgl for any given LOD square based on the highest LOD file it finds. The only solution would be to create a bgl file for each of your spot heights at about LOD 13, a 4 meter grid size. It would yield spikes or depressions at each location. Can't see the point in this, although I understand the question.It may be better to wait for the new SRTM data for your area of interest and to generate full meshes where you want them.Good luck,Gary