Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

Aussie 2.5M topo? Do I have anything here?

I just got the Following from an Aussie Gov site.I don't really know what it is, or if I can use it tomake Aussie Mesh. I have downloaded the MapInfo mid/mif files.How do I read mid/mif files.?**************************************2.2 The TOPO 2.5M 1998 productTOPO 2.5M 1998 is a national seamless data product aimed at regional or national applications. The data isideal for location or distribution mapping at a small scale and can be readily combined with other dataproducts.TOPO 2.5M 1998 is the intermediate product between Geoscience Australia?s GEODATA TOPO 10M (dataat 1:10 million scale) and GEODATA TOPO 250K (data at 1:250 000 scale). It contains a small scale vectorrepresentation of the topographic mapping features of Australia and includes the following themes:

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,I would like to have a look at the TOPO data, can you enclose the link for a download? I find many links at AUSTLIG are dead ends!!Thanks, Rob.

What ya reck'n about all this....It's new on ga.gov.auMapping milestoneA seamless digital map of Australia's topography is one step closer to reality following completion of the latest series of topographic maps by Geoscience Australia."Completion of the latest 1:250 000 (250K) scale topographic maps of Australia known as NATMAP 250K, is a significant mapping milestone for Australia. For the first time since 1968, we have mapped all 7,660,000 square kilometres of the entire continent with information that has been collected over the past ten years," said Member for Eden-Monaro, Mr Gary Nairn, who added the final map of Kingston in Western Australia to the 17sq metre mosaic of 513 maps laid out at Parliament House on 22 September 2003.The new map series, completed in five years, is a collaborative effort between Geoscience Australia and private sector mapping companies. The first national topographic map coverage at this scale began in the late 1940s and was completed in 1968."The completion of this stage of the project is a crucial stepping stone towards the production of a seamless electronic map of Australia which we will be able to update with the latest information as it becomes available. The seamless topographic database of Australia will be available on the Internet in early 2004."[NATMAP Raster Mosaic 2003] [NATMAP Raster Mapsheets 2003]250K NATMAPs are available in both paper and digital form, and in line with the Government's policy on Spatial Data Access and Pricing, this fundamental spatial information is also available online for free download and on CD for $99.At the event, Mr Nairn also launched the new NATMAP Raster 2003, a CD product containing images of all the 1:250 000, 1:1 million and 1:5 million maps as well as a 50 metre resolution satellite image of Australia. All 513 250K maps are provided on just two CDs.

Hi there:I just had a quick look at the site you provided the link to. Not to rain on your party but there doesn't seem to be any readily available gridded elevation data. All the digital maps are scanned or digitized from the printed hardcopies and thus with contour lines in raster or vector format.Extracting accurate elevations from rasterized contour lines is possible but extremely tedious so I don't think it's an option for large areas. In the case of contour lines as vectors (such as the 250K series) things are a bit more hopeful but you'd require GIS software that can read those data (ArcInfo or MapInfo format) and do the interpolation to raster elevation format and the transformation into the FS-native lat/long WGS84 format. ArcInfo costs many thousands of dollars. There are a couple of low-cost GIS packages, such as Idrisi or Global Mapper or Manifold, but you'd still have to fork out a few hundred US dollars.Hopefully, the Shuttle Radar data will soon be released for areas outside of the Americas, which would give us at least 3 arc-sec (~90 m) coverage.Cheers, Holger

Yeah, thanks heaps Holger for raining on my party :)I suspected this all along, but was not really sure.Thanks for clearing the air, saved me a lot of bother."Hopefully, the Shuttle Radar data will soon be released for areas outside of the Americas, which would give us at least 3 arc-sec (~90 m) coverage."Yeah, the only real hope I guess."Extracting accurate elevations from rasterized contour lines is possible but extremely tedious"Yeah, I read a tutorial on doing that and "TEDIOUS" would be the word :(

Thanks Holger for helping out with the explination, I could not have given that information.I plan to contact AUSLIG to ask them what they have available, if anything good comes up I will post it. I found this quote somewhere..."AUSLIG completed basic national coverage of the TOPO-250K data set four years ago and is now revising the data with many additional features being captured.The new TOPO-250K product (Series 2) now includes vegetation, contours and conservation reserves. Among the 138 different features contained in the data are comprehensive drainage and transportation networks."How to view it??? I will see what they have.....one step at the time & that's a bit hard sometimes.Rob.:-hmmm

Howdy:two things I forgot to mention:1. it's possible that the new SRTM 30-arcsec (not 3 arcsec!) data will improve on the FS default mesh (if compiled at LOD7), though probably not by much. The sorce data are available here ftp://edcsgs9.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/srtm/SRTM30 and, as always, I suggest a visit to Steve Greenwood's site for ideas and tips on how to process terrain data: http://www.fs-traveler.com/welcome.shtml2. for smaller areas within Australia and New Zealand there are 30-m ASTER DEM files available. See my post in this forum: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1093&page=The screenshot is of a raw ASTER DEM of an area on the NZ South Island - looking pretty goodhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/39800.jpgCheers, Holger

Hi Holger, Thanks for comments. Here is a link to an earlier post of mine with a bit more information and a link to some srtm30 mesh folks can download to check out the difference. It is a large file (54MB) covering about 1/4 of North America. :)SRTM Data][/bSteve