Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Interested in starting to edit MSfs 2004 default scenery.

Guest kurtj

I am interested in editing some of the scenery in fs2004 espescially areas like Western Texas and Garden City Kansas parts of New Mexico. I have flown over these areas in real life and there is a bunch of crop circles or irrigation fields in Garden City Kansas and Western Texas, perhaps Oklahoma, and parts of New Mexico. Now fs2004 looks so plain like a green brown ground in that area. It also has a modeled green farm land in Garden City Kansas that looks nothing like it should look like. To check these places out, I have also used www.mapquest.com and entered a city changed it to ariel view to get satalite imagery. I would like to add some realistic ground textures. I think fs2000 did a better job in this area sometimes. Even the deserts in New Mexico seem to be to dark. Yes some areas of the ground may be, but what about White sands Natl Monument? That just looks to dark. Fs2004 has 3 types of desert. One looks like a sandy desert with no vegitation at all, the other is a light beige with cactus and shrubs and the last dark grey and shrubs. There also should be a rocky desert in there to but msfs doesn't have it. Any ideas would be great to start doing this. I have tried the EZ landclass but how does that really work? Second how does one create his own textures of choice and implement them into msfs?

Hi Kurt.You can use your own textures with landclass. Here's the explanation:Most of our landclass BGLs cover an LOD5 sized area. We can change just a few of the groundtiles, by using a base of value #254, and defining some new values for certain areas.The rule with landclass BGLs is they must be in a project folder that has a "scenery" subfolder, but NO "texture" subfolder.But, you can violate this rule IF the "texture" subfolder contains all the properly named textures that are called from the landclass BGL. ( If you use 10 LC values, then the folder must have the entire sets of textures that represent those 10 values ).So if you want white sand for a local area, you can do that by making a LC BGL, and inventing local textures to replace the ones normally called by the LC value.Offhand, I'm not sure about the autogen interaction, but the easy way out is to chose values that don't have autogen. You could use an "ice" value and replace that texture set locally with white sand.I hope that peaks your interest.=====================Another possibility is that Ground2K4 can make VTP2 polys of any shape you desire, and can call texture sets by name. Named textures won't have autogen, but there are ways around that problem, by placing objects if needed.Dick