Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ideas

Terrain Mesh truncated at the coastline of the default scenery

Guest bungo71

Hello All,Has anyone managed to find a fix for FS9 cutting any updated terrain mesh off at the coastline of the original default scenery.ie, this is my draft Townsville Magnetic Island Textures with SRTM derived terrain mesh, but you can see that the mountains unnaturally plummet into the ocean where the default coastline scenery was.Does anyone know how to fix this?cheersBungo

Guest sgreenwood

Hello Bungo,My guess is that the "SRTM derived terrain mesh" does not include data for that region. Have you looked at the mesh for the island using tmfviewer.exe? You may need to add additional source data so area truncated by resample is moved offshore. How was the mesh constucted?My website has some information about how resample trims the data: http://www.fs-traveler.com/mesh-gaps.shtmlSteve

Hello Steve,This is a very common occurrence at coastlines in Flight Simulator. All offshore water is set to an elevation of 0 meters and so the mesh is always cut off at this point. This results in those sharply-sloping cliffs at water's edge.We have amply discussed this matter in the Scenery Design forum where the techniques, not completely satisfactory, to solve this can be learned.Best regards.Luis

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Luis,Thanks for the reply. Apparently I've misinterpreted the situation, since I don't see that effect when using SRTM data with just the default coastline, assuming the island in the image is Magnetic Island. If I understand you correctly, this effect is the result of trying to extend the coastline out "too far" from the original. Steve

Hello Steve,More likely, I am wrong if you have not noticed this at that island, and it is probably due to what you wrote.Forgive my ignorance, but I do not know where this island can be found - never heard of it!Often, the default coasts are not correctly placed, as you know, so when extending them to the correct location, it is common to find that the mesh is truncated at the default location.Best regards.Luis

Guest Ideas

In some cases changing the underlying waterclass tile to a landclass tile may be necessary...