Sign in to follow this  
misho_TerraBuilder

TerraBuilder GMAX Mesh Module

Hello, all!I don't want to toot my horn too loud, but I thought I should mention the release of my GMAX Mesh Module for TerraBuilder PRO here, since it is an appropriate forum. It is payware (You'll need TB PRO to process the file) but you can still download the module (comes with the TB PRO Package) and try it out within GMAX, get familiar with the functionality and see if it can be of use to you. This is a free upgrade for registered users of TB PRO. I also have a full tutorial and reference guide on line.Someone mentioned "phantasy mountains" a while ago - this would be a perfect tool for that. I'm using it to create lunar landscape for my upcoming TerraBuilder:Moon add-on. You can also use it to add much greater detail to the existing scenery as well.Misho Katulic, authorTerraBuilderwww.terrabuilder.com

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Misho,thanks for letting us know and, of course, developing the module in the first place!I'm not a GMax modeler (yet) but was wondering what mesh format the module accepts? I assume that the module could be helpful for making sloped runways or other work on "micro terrain" at airfields. For those projects being able to directly import real-world high-res mesh, like NED, CDED, or SRTM 1-arcsec data in 16-bit bsq or geotif format would be very helpful.Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,GMAX module does not require any previous GMAX experience - if you follow the tutorial, you'll be exporting scenery in a few minutes.As it stands, GMAX module can only import images as altitude maps, and usually those are black and white bitmaps. So in order to get terrain data in, you can use Microdem and export the altitude as an altitude map image. I will soon update the GMAX module so that it accepts an altitude text file which can, again, be exported using Microdem. Unfortunately, the only File input format GMAX recognizes is text type, and that is all I have to work with.Misho

Hi Misho,thanks for the feedback - sounds intriguing. ;-)Cheers, Holger

Misho,You mention importing altitude maps into Gmax.I can find no mention of this in GMax.What format is this or what is the suffix please?I presume this are greyscale images that GMax can extrude into 3D.ThanksAndy

Hi Andy,You are correct, they are grayscale (or even color) images, usually simple *.bmp files. GMAX calls this "Displace Modifier". GMAX itself does NOT have provision for terrain design - that's what the module is there for. TerraBuilder GMAX Module applies a displace modifier to a plane object which modifies it to a terrain. The module automates the process and simplifies the placement of the terrain within the LOD grid.If you need more info, I'd suggest downloading and installing the TerraBuilder PRO. You will have an access to a GMAX module so you can experiment with it - it is free. Take a look at the included tutorials, as all the concepts and methods are explained there.Advanced tutorial:http://www.terrabuilder.com/GMAX/GMAXMM_AdvTut.htmBasic tutorial:http://www.terrabuilder.com/GMAX/GMAXMM_Tut.htmReference:http://www.terrabuilder.com/GMAX/GMAXMM_Ref.htmMisho

I have just noticed that one of the TerraBuilder PRO users, XP-Simulation, has rendered Reunion Island using TerraBuilder's new functionality. There are GMAX Module terrain render screen shots, perhaps this will illustrate better what the module is used for. Check out the results here:http://www.xp-simulation.com/en/reunion%20.htmlAlso, make sure you view the video (at the bottom of the page) - it is simply stunning...Misho