Sign in to follow this  
Team_P3DSpacePort

Just A Little Hill?

Guest barnburner32

I posted this in the general scenery section, but I'm posting it in here as well because it's possible this is a mesh question. I'm hoping there's a way to do this without getting into mesh editing but it's somewhat related anyway, under the general subject of Making The Ground Bumpier. Here is the problem: I have to create a peculiar little terrain feature, which I can best describe as a small low hill that has been carved away on three sides (apparently by human efforts) so that now it's partly surrounded by sheer bluffs. You could picture it as looking like a great big ramp, I guess.The whole thing is not very big - I'd say roughly three city blocks by two - and about 25 to 30 feet high where the bluffs are highest.It may not sound like much; you might wonder why I'm bothering. But it happens to be a vital part of the terrain at this particular point, because it's right up at the border of the airport; it determines the layout, and in fact without it the arrangement of the hangars, taxiways etc. makes no sense. In all the photos it is easily the most noticeable natural feature.I can create a thirty-foot rise of ground easily enough, of course, with a simple flatten. But that results in a gentle rise, which would work fine for one side of the hill but doesn't give me the sharply-rising bluffs I need on the others.I tried putting a second flatten up next to it but that didn't work. I tried creating an elevated polygon and that did produce the shape I was after but it looked lousy - for one thing I couldn't get the textures to look right - and I suspect it would have hit frame rates.It's too small a feature to justify getting into mesh, isn't it? (Even if it CAN be done with mesh fiddling; I don't even know that.) Anyway, it no longer exists in the real world - hasn't been there since the thirties - so there's no documentation I could use; it will have to be drawn free-hand, so to speak.Anybody got any thoughts? Understand that I know nothing about terrain editing; I've never had occasion to get into that. I'm OK on things like coastlines and runways and objects, the usual stuff, but this is way out of my area of experience. Please keep any replies very simple. Use short words, speak slowly, and wave your hands a lot.

Guest ezergailis

I have the same problem.If I make a bridge then I must rise mesh at the ends to look scenery nice. Or in case of hydroelectric power station I have water levels different.How to change mesh elevation in vicinity of the object?

Guest barnburner32

I'm starting to suspect it's just not practical to try to fiddle mesh at that small a scale.I finally did it with a combination of a high flatten and an elevated polygon. Some people apparently use slanted polygons, which really comes out to the same thing - using polygon surfaces for the cliffs rather than trying to raise the mesh - but I don't know anything about that.

Guest ezergailis

>I finally did it with a combination of a high flatten and an>elevated polygon. Some people apparently use slanted>polygons, which really comes out to the same thing - using>polygon surfaces for the cliffs rather than trying to raise>the mesh - but I don't know anything about that. How did you do that?I tried to use Ground2k4 but yet without success. I'm afraid I'm still doing something wrong with it's re-mesh feature.

Guest ezergailis

Finally I did it with Ground2k4 re-mesh facility.It is important to put proper re-mesh .bgl file priority compare to other scenery files, then it works OK!Attached are pictures of my bridge before and after re-meshing (I also used VTP to eleminate some buildings around the road).