Sign in to follow this  
Guest IlyaPro

A "hole" in terrain mesh. How to make one?

Hello Everyone,Here is the problem.Imagine having a very nice non-default high-resolution terrain mesh (e.g. compiled using 1 arc sec SRTM data) for a specific region (e.g. Washington State). Then imagine having a few very good payware sceneries in the same region (e.g. Emma Field). But these payware sceneries (their landclasses, 3D-objects, water-bodies) are made for default terrain mesh and do not have their own one, and when you install your custom mesh, they look weird (if not to say awful).Here is my idea: is it possible to make a "hole" in the custom mesh exactly in the place where this payware scenery is located, so that everywhere around this place there would be custom mesh, and in the place of the scenery there would be default mesh?If it is, how (with what program) can I make it?Thank you in advance!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Ilya,nope, you can't make a hole into an existing mesh but it's pretty straightforward to create a series of add-on mesh files that enclose the area in question while leaving one rectangular section in the center mesh-free.Those mesh files are made just like any other mesh you just need to do the necessary calculations to determine the suitable LOD grid lines (depending on the desired LOD of your mesh) to ensure that the individual sections abutt each other. I believe that Steve Greenwood has a LOD grid calculator EXCEL spreadsheet at his website.Cheers, Holger

Holger,Thank you very much! I just have thought about this kind of workaround (so to speak :))!But I have only SRTM-mesh squares, which are 1x1 degree in size, it's about 60x60 nm. And the area I need to exclude is about 22x16 arc minutes.Is there a program which can help me to cut out certain parts of the existing 1-degree square, so I can paste them to new separate mesh-files? Is GlobalMapper able to do this? (I found out about it only yesterday and just didn't have enough time yet to study all the abilities of it.)Thank you very much again!

Hi Ilya,you're very welcome!It's easier than that, actually. You can tell the .inf file which particular area it's supposed to generate mesh of. In the destination section the parameters would be, for example:UseSourceDimensions = 0NorthLat = 58.05SouthLat = 56.20WestLong = -131.50EastLong = -129.55Thus, if you had a single large source file you could make four separate inf files that specify the sections surrounding the "hole".However, you do need to know the LOD grid lat/long values that I mentioned before because FS will only display portions of a mesh that completely fill the respective LOD cell. See http://www.fs-traveler.com/mesh-gaps.shtmlAlso, if your desired area is larger than a single SRTM 1x1 degree tile then you could either write a multi-source inf (see the FS2004 Terrain SDK for how to do that) or create that source file in MicroDEM (freeware) or GlobalMapper (payware) first before coding your four inf files.Good luck!Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,Thank you very much again! This is really helpful!