Sign in to follow this  
stevekasian

LOD11 Mesh - not so "solid", is it?

I've produced some LOD11 mesh scenery - everything looks ok, but when I taxi my aircraft over it (ok, so I like to see the wheel struts compress - so what ;) ), it sinks, sometimes all the way in, into the scenery...it eventually emerges, rolling properly across the terrain, only to sink again. Is there anything about LOD11 scenery that causes this? I'm thinking, perhaps the actual terrain limits are defined on a lower LOD level, maybe LOD9?Thanks for any insight...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I can add that when flying low over uneven LOD 10 or 11 terrain (like flying an F-16 over a jagged mountain range or through a canyon), there seems to be a 'ghost' terrain image of some sort that triggers surface contact with the aircraft, causing an impact and crash. This doesn't seem to happen when doing the same over LOD9 terrain. I've always assumed pretty much what you've suggested in your question, Misho - that the sim uses a lower resolution layer to detect contact with a vehicle. But I don't know.It'd be very helpful to know what's up with this, if anyone out there does....SK