Sign in to follow this  

TrafficDatabaseBuilder_SDK

This thing is driving me crazy! I have run it just as it unzips and it runs fine, spewing out flight plans for a long time. Then I add another airports option to merge the new ones I have made AI-ready with AFCAD. Nothing! It says something stupid like "TrafficDatabaseBuilder is not an executable program nor a batch file, etc." So, I take out that option I just added making it , I suppose, just like it was wgen it worked. Nor it has to run again as it did before, right? Wrong!!! Heeeeellllp! John

command line program, so you must run it in a DOS window or make a batch file like this:(all in one line).

"TrafficDatabaseBuilder.exe /Airports=Airports.dat /AircraftTypes=AircraftTypes.dat Routes=CustomRoutes.dat AutoRoute=no /Output=traffic.bgl"Panos Georgotas

Panos Georgotas

Thanks for your reply. Part of my problem was that it is a DOS program. I do not know why MS uses DOS in this day. It's like using smoke signals when everyone else has sattelite phones. More of my problem was all the errors in the files I was asking it to process. Once again I have proved that if you RTFM it is amazing how much better everything works. Efcharisto, John

I just downloaded the Traffic Database Builder SDK, but when I try to use it the command prompt flashes on screen, for a spilt second, then dissapears. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem?

Been there, done that and have a closet full of T shirts. When it flashes like that it meand that the program did not run and gave you an error message. The only way to see what the error message is is to run the program using the DOS command prompt available under the Accessories. You get to that from the Start button. You have to finally get a line like this:C:(back slash)fssdk(backslash)TrafficDatabaseBuilder_SDK(backslash)makeaiThen your program will run unless you have an error in your Aircraft lists or Airport lists. It will tell you what is wrong and you can find and correct the error. You have to follow the format given in the supplied files for the Airports explicitely! For example: if you have a line for an airport Parking,32.8,Ramp it will flag that as an unknown parking type. It wants RAMP. Go figure! It wants the altitude of your airports in meters but then reports it in feet in the Airport Schedule that it produces. It's like anything else, if you give it what it wants, it will give you what you want. It is a fast way to produce a lot of AI flights. John

>I just downloaded the Traffic Database Builder SDK, but when >I try to use it the command prompt flashes on screen, for a >spilt second, then dissapears. I was wondering if anyone >else was having this problem? Your clicking the SDK executable. Thats wrong. That was the error. And no. You will not always see an error message when this occurs with MSDOS programs You first must open the MS-DOS window. (The MS-DOS Icon) on the Program list. Its located in the main Program list in Win98. Not Accessories. When ever you see the error message or read in the notes that a program must be run at the DOS promt, that means open the MS-DOS window. Sometimes that also means exiting windows a booting to DOS C prompt only.The type cd c:The places you at the C prompt.Then type cd c:fssdktraffi~1 (Exactly as you see it written here)You are now in the trafficBuilder SDK folder.Type Traffi~1.exe /Airports=Airports.dat /Airports=myports.dat /AircraftTypes=AircraftTypes.dat /AircraftTypes=mycraft.dat /Routes=myroutes /Output=Traffic.bgl

>Thanks for your reply. Part of my problem was that it is a >DOS program. I do not know why MS uses DOS in this day. It's >like using smoke signals when everyone else has sattelite >phones. More of my problem was all the errors in the files I >was asking it to process. Once again I have proved that if >you RTFM it is amazing how much better everything works. >Efcharisto, John The reason that MS DOS is still used is because Win3.1 thru Win98 are heavily dependant on 16-bit processes. Win98 is not a true 32-bit program. Whereas WinNT, 2000, and XP are 32-bitPete

Hey John, While I am no starnger to DOS, I am no expert.I'm useing the MS SDK too. Just to give it a try. In my dos window I want to type:Traffi~1.exe /Airports=Airports.dat /Airports=myports.dat /AircraftTypes=AircraftTypes.dat /AircraftTypes=mycraft.dat /Output=Traffic.bglBut DOS must have a limit on tal number of charcters per command because I can't type any father than:Traffi~1.exe /Airports=Airports.dat /Airports=myports.dat /AircraftTypes=AircraftTypes.dat /AircraftTypes=mycraft.dat /Routes=myroutes /Output=Trideas?One thing I also noticed is that you cannot restart to DOS mode to run this program. Says that it requires windows. Bizarre

Thanks for jumping in. I bow to your superior knowledge of using DOS in previous versions of Windows. I am using XP and it works just fine as I described it. Perhaps it needs mentioning that "makeai" is a batch file supplind with SDK and containes all of the options to run the program the way you want. It can be edited with Notepad and executed in DOS once you are in the TrafficDatsbaseBuilder_SDK folder where this program resides. That way, all the options don't need to be typed each time you want to run the traffic builder program. John

> Perhaps it needs >mentioning that "makeai" is a batch file supplind with SDK >and containes all of the options to run the program the way >you want.Hmmmm, didn't come with my download of the traffic builder SDKHowever, its easy to write a batch file. All you need to do is type the samething you do on the command line but in notepad instead. Then save it as whatever.bat. Click it and then the compiling begins.With AFCAD, I gave two airports Tower ability and parking spots.With the SDK I enter all the proper information and also added a routes.datDeparture Airport is at ALT 1259(meters?)Arrival Airport ALT is 538ft(forget what it is in meters)Anyway, When I compile, I get a error saying "routes.dat(17)unable to reach minimum safe altitude(FL182) for W92->KGAI"However, these are GA airports and the minimum seems pretty high since there are no mountains higher than about 5000ftAnd it must have cleared the first leg, wich is the opposite of what you see aboveI removed the routes.dat fileStarted the compile but it never finishes.at the end of what I see, it lists 4 airports and says something like no aircraft within range.And then there are a few messages that say saving this or that but no message saying "finished".To be specific, the last message I see is "saving spacial cells"Its been sitting there for the last two hours. Tried a number of times too.I am at a loss.What is the final message one sees in the SDK?Pete

When you get to the point you described, it is done. You will find it has generated the file traffic.bgl that you can add to the folder scenerydb-atc-scenery. Back up the one that is there. You will find a file names Airports Schedule in which you will find all of the flightplans it has generated for each airport uou supplied to it. If you used the option StatsDirn it will give you a list of all the airports and the number of activities (t/o and land) per day for each. John

Guest lmoelleb

I do NOT think TrafficDatabaseBuilder is a DOS program. It is a command line program written for the platform in development normally refered to as "Win32" - meaning Windows 9x/ME/NT/XP. It is as much a native Windows program as any GUI program.Command line utilities are normally prefered over GUI by experienced computer users (specially developers) as they can easely be automated form scripts etc, and they are much much faster to write. Actually using them is often faster as well when you know what you are doing.Remember that the SDK tools are always written for experienced computer users, often the developers themselves, so it is obvious they choose what is most efficient for them.