Sign in to follow this  

AI Taxi Speed

I have seen the statement a number of times here and in other threads that the AI Aircraft all seem to taxi at the same speed.I beg to disagree. I have seen MANY instances of one aircraft overtaking another and having to slow down to match that speed and get in line.But I also have not seen a pattern as to what aircraft sizes tend to be faster or slower. I think I have seen nearly all types be slower or faster.I know that all aircraft slow down near turns but that is not what I am talking about. Most of my observations have been at KATL where there are some pretty long straight taxiways and I have noticed the speed differences often.To me, that says it is not "hard coded" into it unless the hard coding is in the form of some type of table relating to the type of aircraft. But even that seems to defy categorizing.

Bill,just a quick question: Using AI map, I have never seen any aircraft taxi faster than 11knots (ground speed) ... you've seen differently?can you tell me how I might duplicate?-j

While I was pushing back a SouthWest 737 I saw another Boing 737 on the Taxiway going at the same speed as my aircraft while pushing back.So, I wonder if the AI aircraft is accessing the same subroutine for it's taxi and push back speeds.HectorB.

Hmmmm. Interesting challenge, John.How do I let you see what I am seeing?Guess the only way is to tell you that where I've seen it is when in slew mode, top down view, frozen at 1500' above KATL where I can watch most of the runways simultaneously. Then sit for a while and watch.I have the WorldAI10a installed along with all of Delta Flight Schedule plus all the stock flights. So I have a LOT of aircraft of all sizes going all kinds of places--almost every concourse has at least 80% of the gates filled.But I have seen Cessnas overtake 777's and vice versa on a straight runway from midfield out to both 26R and 27L for departure.Like you, I have AIMap installed as well and I know that the speeds stay around 9 knots but that does not change what I saw happen visually.Now, I won't say that there was not some factor I am not taking into consideration. I am just saying that is what I have witnessed on numerous occasions.Of course I have also seen some aircraft taxing all over the field, not following any particular path, stopping totally for periods of a few seconds to a couple of minutes in the middle of who knows where, turning at weird headings where no runways or taxiways even exist (I built the taxiways with AFCAD), and then finally getting on a correct taxiway and taxing to a correct hold short point, getting clearance, and departing as if nothing unusual had happened at all!And those did that at all kinds of speeds from 2-3 knots to above 15 knots. :)And I don't drink or take drugs stronger than a cigarette and my wife's sweet tea! :)

do you think then that fsuipc may be reporting incorrect data to aimap?just wondering.-j

Boy, your guess is as good as mine--probably better!I'm afraid I just don't have enough low-level knowledge to know.

Bill:This is just to confirm what you see at KATL I see the same thing with top down sitting on the ground. I have 9 overlays for KATL and close to 200 gates using all 4 runways. Just want to make sure somebody doesn't jump in here and say can somebody else test this. I will say that all my aircraft do stay on course when taxing but I contribute this to using all stock airplanes and repaints except for a few A320's. I found to many 3rd party planes don't like to be AI Aircraft and use up alot of frame rates.

well... having read this... and witnessing it with my own two eyes it would make me believe that it is not hard coded in any dll file then unless of course it was a ratio compared to weight and thrust (which I doubt). I'm going to stick to testing in the air file and with only 128 bytes of data loaded for AI aircraft from that file it shouldn't take long to see if in fact it is there. I've already done some preliminary testing and know for a fact how to crash FS2K2 with the air file now :D-j

Glad to know I am not going crazy.Or at least, not any crazier than I already am ! :)You got me beat on the overlays! I only have 8--KAT1, KAT2, ...KAT8. Of course I do still have my original KATL but I don't use that for AI so I guess that doesn't count as an overlay, right??? :)As for stock vs repaints vs "other", I do have too many of the "others". Have got to get back to downloading I guess and find more low overhead versions because it is definitely hurting my frame rates.But I was also actually surprised that it did not hurt my fps as much as I thought it would. I can actually view fairly well when in normal mode and taxing around. But it is very noticeable when I go into slew mode. Takes a little longer to spin the aircraft around to view different directions.I am definitely going to work a bit more this weekend on fine tuning which aircraft I am using for each of the overlays.

Although I didn't start the topic... I really appreciate everyone's feedback.-j

Bill:I added AirTran on the southside of C concouse which made the 9th overlay. Took it out of "other" south overlay. Did have 8 overlays simular to your upload to FlightSim but needed AirTran on C. Now if I could only find a good B717 on MD83 repaint. KATL still intact as original.

Jim,Nathan Tenney put together an OUTSTANDING Boeing 717-200 Air Tran for FS2002. Search for fl717v2a.zip. (might be on FlightSim).It includes a magnificent interior view--almost a virtual tour of the entire interior including cockpit, business, and coach. Fairly nice panel too!But don't count on it as being great for AI--can imagine it alone might be a major part of my frame rates degradation :)It is a bit complex on the install because it is actually installed as 3 different aircraft in the same package plus a common folder with the panel. But they are all the same aircraft. The difference is which interior view you get--cockpit, business, or coach. Very impressive work.

Hi Adam,John has tried changing the two instances of "15" in the dll file, and FS2002 crashes each time. Perhaps it was a different speed, like 16 kts?-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://members.aol.com/tgfltsim/index.htmlAlcoHauler Locomotive Page: http://members.aol.com/alcohauler/home/alcohaul.htmlFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

ok, here is what I have so far. I listened to the suggestions about the .AIR file...guess what...nope. Ever seen a 737 lift off like a helo? I have now, but it still taxi's like a 737???? So guess we shouldn't assume that it is the AIR file. Dave