Sign in to follow this  
Forkboy2

Landing A/C Go Correct Gates, Then Circle Endlessly...

...then circle around the last node.Have had this problem only at EDDF, first German Airports, now Simflyers.Began with "Master" based on Thomas Molitor's great work. Then deleted gates and taxiways to make overlays 1 thru 9. All aircraft started at the right gates for their overlay. But when they landed, went to gates via taxiways that had been deleted for their overlay. Seemed that they tried to go to gates that had last been deleted from the master.Got past that by creating a last overlay with one gate that is always occupied by an LH B744. But now landing aircraft try to get to a correct gate, then circle around the last node before the gate.Text files for the overlays look okay, but something's not compiling correctly into the .bgl file - I guess.Tried starting with the MS original eurnwafd.bgl, then installing each of the overlays. Didn't help a bit.Would share if I can get it working, although the overlays are pretty specific to my FlightPlans, which probably include 90+% of the movements at EDDF.Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi Falcon307:I don't have a solution, but I have just started working with overlays as well and I think I have a similar problem. Maybe this example will help someone provide us with the solution.I took my basic CYYZ airport with about 60 gates and divided it into three overlays. All aircraft are starting at the correct terminals. However, when I land (and other flights land) the arrivals are often being sent to gates that are not part of the airport of destination. For example, if I fly into 3YYZ, I may get a 1YYZ gate, and a flight that landed beside me on the 1YYZ arrival runway gets assigned one of the 3YYZ gates. It is almost as if the system is 'remembering' the 'old' single airport configuration for arrivals.Comments/solutions anyone?ThanksYYZ

Guest Captain Barfbag

When an aircraft lands, it does not necessarily "join" the overlay to which you've directed it. Instead, it goes to the one whose airport center point (the pinkish cross roughly in the middle of each overlay) is closest to where it is when it contacts Ground. You can use AFCAD to move the center point (this was added a few versions back) and you may be able to isolate the overlays pretty well by doing this. This works pretty well for parallel runways in different overlays, but if you are using crossing runways you might find it works well using one wind direction but not another.Another thing to consider is keeping all the taxiways for all overlays, and just having distinct gates for each overlay. That way planes will still be able to taxi even if they are on the wrong overlay.However, I have seen the future and it is the Radius method, at least until the next version of FS comes out. Overlays can still be used, but gate assignment is done by assigning much more specific sizes to all aircraft and gates. It's not perfect, but it works a lot better than overlays for assigning aircraft to gates. This is particularly true in places like KBOS, where all the runways are on one side of the terminal and using overlays seldom gets the landing aircraft to the right place. There's a lot of stuff about Radius setup on ProjectAI. Go for it if you are really hung up on getting aircraft to the right gates.

Have you been messing around with AI Speed?You may have the speed set to high. THat will cause weird things to happen.Just a guess.Matt