Sign in to follow this  
erict

Dual Runway Ops at Atlanta

Guest RichardL

Just got through watching dual runway ops at KATL. Aircraft taxing down to the two inner runways for take off. At the same time, dual apporaches were happening on the two outer runways. Downloaded Bill Molony's 8 overlay AFCAD file. Split PAI Detla ops between KAT1 and KAT5. Used yRoute's split feature to select by aircraft number, ie AC#2122. Yroute showed twenty-four PAI Delta aircraft, so I placed twelve on each overlay.I do have a question. While monitoring ground, when aircraft would ask for parking, ground would ony give then "general aviation parking." I looked at the two overlays in AFCAD, and all the spots were identified by area and gate number and were listed randomly.Why won't ground give them a gate number?Thanks for the awesome work Bill!Richard

Guest lmoelleb

Personally I prefer the outer runways for takeoff - this way I avoid planes having to cross the takeoff runway - their will always be a hole between the landing planes sooner or later - put take off can form a pretty massive line. It mattered until I changed Atlanta a bit to make sure no plane would leave the runway at the taxiway used by planes going to the take off runway, and I let them cross the runway on matter if landing planes are using it or not. I have no idea how this would be done in real life.But now to your question: If you read the AFCAD manual, you will discover that you can only have one overlay for each runway used for landing, as the landing planes will always contact the "closest" layer, no matter which one they were supposed to land on - meaning you can only have two overlays for Atlanta. You might be able to sneak in an extra overlay if you force the planes always to land in the same direction on the runway - then you can try to seperate between big and small planes, but I don't think you can get it perfect.

I don't know KATL very well, but are the outside rwy's used for ldg due to lateral separation requirements?

well, if you look at all big airports with parallel runways,they'll always use the runway that's closest to the terminal for TO and the one that's furthest away for landings as in real life,it's much easier to issue a runway crossing over a TO runway than a landing just look at KATL,KEWR,EDDF,KLAX,...

Guest RichardL

I'll live with the "general aviation parking" to get the other benefits.Thanks for the help.Richard

Eric Thornton