Sign in to follow this  

Floating Aircraft

I have redone 5 local airports using Airport for Windows, AFCAD, TTools, and Gmax. On two of these airports, if I fly in, the aircraft on the ground are "floating" 3-6 feet above the tarmac. On the other three the a/c are fine and reside "on" the tarmac. If I use WORLD/GOTO AIRPORT to get to the airports the aircraft are OK on all 5 airports. In addition, if an a/c which is "floating" becomes activated on a flightplan, it immediatedly "drops" to the ground and proceeds corectly on its way to the runway.I have carefully checked the AFCAD files, the Airport for Windows information and the scenery.cfg files for all the airports and as far as I can tell everything is correct. The scenery level in the Airport for Windows file is exactly the same as that in the AFCAD file for the runway.I appear to be initializing some file when going through WORLD/GOTO AIRPORT that sets the correct altitude that never gets initialized when just flying into the airportWhat is going on? This is driving me nuts!!Thanks in advance for any help!Ted

Guest Stamatis

Can it be that the Airport Elevation as set inside the AFCAD file is not the same as the actual elevation of the scenery file?Stamatis

Thanks for the suggestion but no, the elevation in the AFCAD file was exactly the same as that in the Airport for Windows file and the airport.txt file in TTools.I did manage finally to solve the problem by raising the altitude in Airport for Windows, the AFCAD file and airport.txt file to meet the "floating" aircraft. I can't, for the life of me, understand why this was necessary as it seems to me that the a/c should be on the ground no matter what the altitude was set to. As I mentioned above if I use WORLD/GOTO AIRPORT the a/c would "find" the correct elevation whatever it was set to. There must be some other file I am not considering.Thanks,Ted

Hi ted,Are you sure that all the runways in the AFCAD have alsothe same altitude? If one of them is higher you will have this problem.CheersRobert

Do you have a flatten polygon at the airport, and is your scenery in a higher Scenery Layer than the default? If not, you will use the elevation of MS's default polygon, and not your new elevation.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

The scenery altitude, the runway, all of the polygons and the flatten polygon were all the same altitude and the AFCAD altitude was also the same elevation.This scenery was working correctly for maybe a month or so and then about a week ago I noticed the "floating" a/c. I suspect that it was something I changed but can't seem to figure out what it was.Thanks for the suggestions though.Ted