Sign in to follow this  

Crossing the active runway

Hi,My RAFCAD EGLL for Gary Summons's London Airports is ready. Everything works OK apart from one annoying thing, which I can't seem to remedy.Aircraft which park at T4 or cargo have to cross the active runway to get there.Once they reach the hold short node just before the active, they are quite rightly told to hold short for the departing aircraft.However, once this aircraft has departed and the next one is teeing up in the runway, there is plenty of time for the aircraft to cross the active, but it never happens. It is never again contacted by ground control to continue taxiing and after fifteen minutes it dissapears.If I remove the hold short nodes, as soon as it contacts ground (i.e just turning of the arriving runway) it is told to hold short there and clogs up the arriving runway. I can't seem to win.Anybody got any ideas on how to get my aircraft across?ChrzPiggin

Guest Joshieca

I had this very same problem with my KSAN AFCAD file. At KSAN there is an old runway that is now used as a cargo ramp area. This old runway crosses right across the active runway. The aircraft would want to cross the active runway, but were always told to hold short until all aircraft would clear. Sometimes this could mean very long waits, and then they would just disappear because they would miss their times.For me, I was able to create a taxiway down the other side of the runway. So that these cargo planes would taxi down it and line up on the other side and still be able to take off, much like they do at the real KSAN airport. All I did was break off the taxiway line from the cargo area and made it connect NOT to the taxiway line that crosses the active runway, but rather connects to the taxiways on either side.If you head to my website below, go to downloads and down the KSAN AFCAD file you can see what I am talking about. Just look at the NORTH side of the runway and you will see the line up of the cargo areas...zoom in and take a look at what I did to make the taxiway from the cargo area work this way. Don't know if this will help you at EGLL but I thought I would let you know what worked for me in any case.- J[div align=center] [link:forums.jetdoc.com/|Visit The Community Forums][link:www.jetdoc.com/NWS/]Live AirNEWS 24/7][/b

Hi there:I assume you're talking about RW 27L/9R?Trying to find options for taxiing around would be my first priority too.If that doesn't work out, you'll need to compromise. Try this:If the RW crossing is far enough from AC doing the takeoff run (i.e., the AC don't run into each other), you can end the RW *BEFORE* the crossing (simply put in a node on the RW a few feet from the crossing and delete the RW line on both sides of the crossing. In other words, AI aircraft won't 'see' the crossing and the AC taking off on this RW don't need the RW line to extend across its entire length. If the RW is also used for landing, things can become a bit more complicated: If you don't need the crossing as an exit but AC might still land (and complete braking!) on either side, you can exclude the crossing by cutting small holes on both sides as described above. As long as the remaining sections are connected to other exits the AC should exit 'orderly', just not at the crossing taxiway.In general, this sectioning of RWs can help forcing AC to take the nearest exit, which they don't always do. For example, I have a few 'airfields' where I want landing aircraft (my new AI helicopters) to exit as soon as possible. To achieve this, I have chopped up the RW into small sections, with each section connected to one or more exit - works like a charm.BTW, this trick wasn't my idea; somebody mentioned it in a forum somewhere but I can't find it anymore so can't give proper credit - I would never have thought of chopping up a 'sacred' RW ;-)Hope that helps. Cheers,Holger P.S. If the problems remain, perhaps attach a screen shot with the area in question.

Thanks for help guys.The crossing point is far enough away from the take off aircraft to allow the "chopping up" of the runway lnesDon't know why I didn't think of that. I've done the exact same thing on the landing runway to force the aircraft to use the next available exitI'll give it a try and let you know how I get on.In my RAFCAD 27L/9R is only a take off runway.ChrzChris