Sign in to follow this  

Ok you Pro's, I'm the new guy

Hiya folks, new to the Avsim forums. I've bee lurking for awhile and I'm ready to get started in improving my MSFS 2002 Pro.I've been looking at the beauitful screen shots you guys are posting and I must admit I'm in total awe!!!!Ok, go easy on me, here's my question, Where or how do I get started improving or adding on to this great sim? I've seen TTools, PIA??, and ADCAB, but I'm not sure which versions to install or how to use them. I feel once I get some feedback on what you guys are using, I'll be able to pick my way thru the info and apply them accordingly. Of course, I say that now, I'll prolly be here everyday with some type of AI question. ;)Just ready to make airports, (Esp, my hometown airport, KSHV in Shreveport La) more "Alive".Guys and Gals, thanks for your patience and imput. Glad to be here with you all.

Go to http://www.projectai.com ,get rid of the default commercial traffic and install all of the packages. Your skies would then be crowded! After you've installed em all come back here and we'll take a peak at the crowded PAI unofficial library! :)

Jet Freak, ok got most of the Project Ai in and your right, DFW is crazy now. Got Delta Jets out the ying yang now. HOW COOL!! Ok, what's next? ;)Doc

Download TrafficTools by Lee Swordy from the library and read the readme. ;) Also, download AFCAD and install some AFCAD airport files to beef up the traffic :)

I've already gotten AFCAD and TrafficTools and I've "Beefed" up DFW and Atlanta Hartsfield, and even my hometown airport, Shreveport Regonal, (KSHV). But I've notice a minor problem now, at Atlanta for example, there are many jets, however, planes coming in for landings are having to abort because there are so many trying to land at one time. Also, the jets that do land only disappear after a short time. Also, alot of traffic congestion on the taxiways, which is normal for Atlanta, but the planes won't move.Now, I've read somewhere that planes will disappear after landing if a gate is not availible for them to taxi to. So, how do I edit how many planes there are at a given airport. I've looked at the flight plans for the Ai aircraft and I must admit, it's quite frightning. Is there a way for someone new like me to rewrite a flight plan? Or, is there a web site available that explains the basic's of changing a flight plan. I'd like to start off small until I can get used to the idea of rewriting a code. OR, am I making this harder than it has to be? ;) If I can start off small, I'd like to start practicing Ai Flight plans from DFW to KSHV. Our Airport is served by AA, Delta, NW, Continetal, US Airway.And last but not least, where are you guys finding those AWESOME jetways for your gates? Sorry for the long, drawnout post, but thanks to you all who are helping the new guy out!!! ;)

Go get AI Traffic Mover (AITM), it makes it easy to write and edit flight plans. Expect to take a while to get used to all of its features.For the planes disappearing, if you haven't edited Atlanta with AFCAD (or downloaded an ATL from the web), then you need to do one of these to increase the number of gates available. Also, the way to reduce missed approaches and congestion is to create an overlay for the airport (one per runway), and move some of the traffic to that overlay using AITM. Read the AFCAD docs for details on this. Some ATL downloads may already include overlays, but you'll still need to move some of your traffic onto that overlay.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

I know that the Traffic Mover program is simple, but I'll be hecked, if I can get the thing to work. I've followed the steps, or at least I think I have and I can't get it to anything. This Moron is lost. Any ideas? :(

From another new guy at this, one thing you can do until you figure out all that new software, is simply turn the traffic slider down a bit in FS2002 under ATC. Even with good AFCAD files, not all airports will handle the traffic at 100%. Keep banging away at it, AI is not perfect but it is cool once you understand some of the limitations. :)Cheers, D8pilot

Read the TTools manual for help on editing FlightPlans.For AITM, just go to File>Open and select your Flightplans.txt file and you can edit it. After finishing, save and compile.

Ok, I've played around with AFCAD and AITM and I've got Project Ai. Starting to get somewhat comfortable with it, however my question is this, DFW, big airport, I've added gates in AFCAD, so I should have plenty of room for parking. Now, I've tried editing flight plans into and out of DFW to other parts of the country, but nothing seems to be going on. I have the same traffic I had when I installed ProjectAi. There may be 10 Delta jets, 1-3 Cont and 1 Air Canada on the airport. None of the flightplans I thought I edit are arriving or leaving. Should have United and American flyin in heavy into DFW, also, I've loaded some Company 727's and haven't seen the first one of them yet. Ok, KIAH, "Houston" has lots of Continetal jets, (Hub) I know, and to add to the flavor, 1-2 Delta, 1 US Airways. That's it. Also had flight plans into and out of KIAH. Missing are United, American, Southwest, Air France and KLM.So, how does AFCAD, PROJECTAI and AITM-sp? all fit into the big picture? And, what could I be doing wrong with my editing my flight plans in AITM?Taking this in BABYSTEPS!!!! ;) Thanks to you all who have posted and helped out so far. The MORON is getting there slowly. :)BTW, just so ya know, I've printed off the info from the help page in AITM. Some of it is greek, some isn't. lol

Did you try adding more gates to the airports you directed the new flights too? Have you added more gates to KIAH? Did you remember to save and compile after editing?Well, AFCAD adds additional gates. Project AI/FSPainter provides the traffic (AC/FP) while AITM/TTools handles the technical stuff like changing flightplans and such.

I've added more gates to KIAH, KDFW. I'm I pretty sure I did that correctly. (Wishful thinking ;))But, you did bring up something that I wasn't aware of. Anytime there are changes made to Flight Plans, or Aircraft..etc, you have to compile the files after changing? Ok, didn't know this. This might be the problem. I'll try getting my saved flight plans and compiling them and see if that works.Ok, I guess my next question is gonna be, when using AFCAD, what are airport overlays how do they work?And as always thanks for you effort and time guys for the help!!! Having a blast learning this stuff. ;)

Ok, 1 more question about AFCAD, how do I assign gates to a specfic airline, such as keeping Delta to parking "A", United to parking area "B", American to parking area "C"...etc?The few jets I have coming into DFW at the moment are parking all over the place.Thanks :)

Airport overlays are fictional airports that overlap each other, to use more than 2 runways per airport or to put aircraft in correct gates. For example, in EGLL, EGLL might be the overlay for all airlines except BA while EGL2 is the overlay for BA. However, they have one problem, the AI from different overlays will not stop for aircraft on another overlay, thus making collisions common.You can also assign gates using the radius method, for more informaton, go to the Project AI website, click on 'Message Boards' on the left side of the screen and go to the RAFCAD forum.