Sign in to follow this  
KevinAu

Driving me batty....

Hi All,Need some help from the experts. I've delved into making layered airports lately, with much success. I've done about 15 so far, putting all the airlines at the proper terminals and gates. But I've run into one problem. When I did KSEA, I used someones AFCAD and modified it to custom fit each layer. I had a problem with aircraft being stuck at hold short red nodes on taxiways. I managed to solve that by putting blue nodes on all taxiways (except at the end of each runway for obvious reasons). The problem I am having is this. All aircraft land on 16R and take off on 16L and vice versa. That part works fine. But I have this damn annoying problem of aircraft taxiing BACK OUT onto the active landing runway after they have pulled off. It's driving me nuts, I've checked all I think I can but I can get rid of the problem. Any ideas?P.S. For you future AFCAD makers, it is not necessary to put a hold short (red dot) node on each and every taxiway. I know why you did this, because you are probably using a third party ATC system. No need to worry, AI aircraft will follow FS ATC regardless, and hold short if you or other aircraft are on the runway. So the hold short nodes are pointless.Any help with the errant taxi problem would be appreciated.

Nope, there is no way to solve this...just FS2k2 ATC's stupidity. I also hate it when a heavy from T4 in EGLL goes across the runway that is going to take off from (27L).BTW, AFCAD file developers put hold short nodes on all taxiways off the runway because you never know which taxiway AI aircraft are going to use.

Hi Jason,I was afraid someone was going to say that. Okay, well it looks like I'll have to hit the slew mode until the critter crawls out of the way.I understand what you're saying about the hold short nodes, but I tried an experiment and changed all of them at KSEA to blue nodes to see what would happen. FS2K2 ATC does recognize the fact that you are on the runway I watch them hold short until I clear or take off. The red nodes sometimes drive me nuts because of the backups it creates. I just tried doing an 11 layer AFCAD for KIAH, putting all the airlines at the proper gates. Everything worked well, but the chaps AFCAD I modified had these dreaded red nodes, and I had a pile up of stuck traffic that wouldn't exit the runway because of the nodes. Maddening to say the least. I tried putting a blue node in front but it doesn't seem to work. Thanks for the input, I'll continue to dodge then :-)Carl

I know, but if you have no hold short nodes on the taxiway that connects to the beginning of the runway, the AI will just turn on the runway and get stuck. If the AI lands and turns off a taxiway with no hold short nodes, it will just get stuck there.

Cut the runway links. Isolate each exit on a landing runway from each other exit. The back taxi onto a runway after exiting is a result of the shortest path to parking being a turn back onto the runway to get onto another exit that is pointed in a more favorable direction. If you isolate each exit, once the AI plane rolls off the runway at that exit, it has no option but to continue onto the taxiways from that exit.The hold short nodes are only necessary at the points where an aircraft will call for takeoff clearance. It determines where the contact tower for takeoff option of the ATC menu becames available and must be within 250' of the runway.