Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

taxiing to gates, please?

Hi everybody! I've noticed recently that after I land at some airports, after completing an IFR flight, ATC still assigns me to a GA parking spot rather than to a gate, even though there are plenty of gates vacant. WHY?!?! I'd appreciate any help. Thanks! CF

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

All parking assignments are based on 3 things - Aircraft Radius, Gate Radius and Overlay.If you are landing at any airport with an overlay, either at the "default" airport or one of the overlays, you may end up in an overlay which only has only GA parking, or no Gate parking of the right size. This can be fixed by moving the Airport Reference Points around to make sure you get assigned to the right overlay, but sometimes there is no way to do this geometrically. The AFCAD documentation discusses this further.If your aircraft has a small radius, either because it's a small default plane or because it's been changed for RAFCAD, then it might end up in a GA spot, particularly if the airport has not been modified for RAFCAD. You can find out about RAFCAD at Project AI's web site, www.projectai.com. Gate radii can be checked and modified with AFCAD. Aircraft radii can be checked and modified with AITM.