Sign in to follow this  
Guest sfgiants13

Help!

Guest sfgiants13

I've been around AFCAD and modifications for a while, however, I have never been able to get overlays to work right. Only the original airport has the traffic. The other side, is blank. In AITM, I've moved the traffic from KSFO, to 2SFO, and still nothing. I gave up on KSFO, and just went with the regular AFCAD. 2SFO was in the aircraft.txt file. Do I have to do it by hand? If someone could previde a step by step way to do it, I would apprieciete it. I'm sick of being stuck in Delta rush hour in Atlanta! If I ever learn how, KATL, and back with KSFO are going to be the first airports to modify. If anyone also has an AIM adress, or MSN adress, and provide a step by step that would also be great. Also, for airpots that I can't find overlays, if I ever learn to use them, can you have more than one runway for landing and takeoff? It would be nice to get out of waiting in Atlanta for 50 aircraft to take off. And also, I'm sick of going around. Every time I go to KATL, I either go around, or land on the outer runway(9R), and wait for the 50 aircraft taking off to take-off on the inner runway(9L) before crossing, or exiting. Any help is greatly appriciated.

It is weird that you mention a modification on Aircraft.txt file. The 2SFO reference should appear on the Flightplans.txt file instead. I do not know about AITM, but I succeded in creating an overlay for the small airport of SBYS, Pira

Guest sfgiants13

My bad, I meant the airports.txt file. I have the same numbers for 2SFO, or did when I was trying to do it. I already have one runway for takeoffs and one for landings, but I was wondering, can you have more than one of each without using an overlay. KATL has 50 airplanes taking off and one landing one after the other. If the plane in front of you goes around, you'll land, if it lands, you go around.

Guest Captain Barfbag

The entry for 2SFO in airports.txt should have exactly the same co-ordinates as that for KSFO. This is NOT particularly important for traffic, and it's not the cause of your problem. However, if you are using EditVoicepak, the program will add "San Francisco" for 2SFO, so that ATC will not refer to it as "Two-Sierra-Foxtrot-Oscar." That's what the EditVoicepak documentation says, anyway.In general, without overlays you can only have one active runway for takeoffs and one for landings at any given time. Of course, this will shift with wind direction.The tricky part about overlays is setting up the airport reference points. Those are the small pink crosses which are dead-center in the window when you open an AFCAD file. For KATL, I would put them between the terminal and the runway pairs, with the North overlay taking the 2 northern runways, and the South overlay taking the 2 southern runways. (Sorry, I'm at work right now so I don't have the KATL charts in front of me.)Think of each overlay as a separate airport. It needs it's own parking, runways, taxiways and comm frequencies.

Guest sfgiants13

I'll try it again, and let you know what happens.

Guest sfgiants13

I feel like such a moron. I got it working! Guess what the problem was, I forgot to compile it after. Stupid huh? I did it once, after decompiling, so that explains my loss in AI traffic at one point. Thanks for your help guys.

Guest sfgiants13

I just did a remodel of Atlanta, using 8 overlays. It put all of the aircraft at the right terminals, and they're evenly spaced out, instead of all at 3 terminals, and the other 2 a ghost town. I tuned the ground and tower frequencies, and different aircraft used both of the inner runways for departure, and the incoming aircraft used both outside runways to land. Now it's much less congested! Thanks for your help guys.

Hi there:congratulations on getting it to work! You realize, though, that the 8 overlays will look mighty fine at startup but if you let the sim run for a while, aircraft gate assignments will become more random quickly. With two runways for landing, only two overlays will allow control over gate assignments (though, if you're not concerned about which airlines go to which terminal, you could spread out the pink reference points a little along the runway and thus ensure that each overlay will receive a few aircraft).Cheers, Holger

>The entry for 2SFO in airports.txt should have exactly the>same co-ordinates as that for KSFO. >>The tricky part about overlays is setting up the airport>reference points. Those are the small pink crosses which are>dead-center in the window when you open an AFCAD file. Hmmm... I always thought that the entries in the airports.txt file ARE the coordinates of the rererence points, at least if you let them be determined by CollectAirports.exe. I just did a quick check of a few overlays and some are identical and some are not - strange? Perhaps the location is determined in another way, the TTools manual doesn't say how. In any case, the manual does state that if you change the airports.txt entries manually, they will be overwritten anytime you run CollectAirports (or the Decompiler).Cheers, Holger

Guest sfgiants13

I have one last problem. I got KATL working great with 2 runways for take-offs and the other 2 for departures. But for those of you who know KSFO, I have 2 overlays. The problem is, I have only 1 runway to take-off, even when I closed off that runway and opened another in AFCAD. Also, the only landing runway that is used, is 19L that was supposed to be for 2SFO only. So here's what I have it set to. KSFO-1L take-off, 10L landing. 2SFO- 28L take-off, 19L landing. For both KSFO and 2SFO, only 1L works for take-off, and 19L works for landing. What's going wrong?