Sign in to follow this  
Holger

found: additional AI sounds?!?

Howdy:perhaps others have noticed this too: the DC-3, when observed in AI mode (Ctrl-Shift-W), has a distinctive sound unlike any other of the AI sounds. Maybe, just maybe, we now have a new shoe-in for additional AI sounds.Since the number of default AI sounds hasn't increased in the FS9/Sound folder (i.e., ai_*.wav and xai_*.wav) I tried to figure out which sound file is being used. My best guess is one of the three .wav files starting with cl* but I could be wrong. Curiously, these files existed in the default FS2002 folder as well but I don't know whether they were used or not.If this isn't just my imagination then the next question is, How are these files triggered? In the DC-3 aircraft.cfg file, the engine type is set to '0' (piston), and there doesn't seem to be any other obvious flag. The .air file structure is not yet fully documented (see http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.html for a first version/update of AirEd utility for FS9) and I couldn't find any obvious trigger either.Can anyone confirm or contradict my observation? Any other thoughts or ideas on this?Cheers, Holger

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Me again:Ooops! Sorry but I was wrong; should have double-checked first ;-(Turns out the distinct DC-3 sound is Hans Hermansson's new external AI sound for twin props (!) and thus the same as for the Baron 58, etc. I installed his sounds.zip a few days ago but the DC-3 was the first AI I came across that uses that particular sound file. Don't know what those cl*.wav files do but they don't seem to be involved with the AI after all. Too bad...To make up for my blunder, here's a list of where and when to find the historic aircraft ready for takeoff as AI (in the default traffic files; all times GMT):Curtis Jenny: L38 at 20:00 and KNEW at 14:00 (any day)DH Comet: Q99 at 17:00 (Wed) or 18:00 (Fri)DC-3: KEDW at 14:55 or KONT at 17:00 (any day)Ford Tri-Motor: KAZO at 14:00 (Sun and Wed)Piper Cub: KGIF at 14:00, 16:00, or 19:00 (any day, doing touch-and-go)Ryan NYP: KSTS at 23:00 (Mon) or KACV at 16:00 (Tue)Vega 5C: PABR at 16:00 (Thu) or KBFI at 21:00 (Tue)Vickers Vimy: KAPC at 15:00 (Mon) or KCEC at 15:00 (Tue) or KBFI at 15:45 (Thu)I won't guarantee that the AI appear at all these times but they did for me for each aircraft on at least one of the times listed.Cheers, Holger