Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingair315

Amphibian AI

Guest jlwoodward

Read through some earlier posts about creating floatplane AI. Has anyone been able to convert an amphibian plane to AI? I think the problem is going to be keeping the wheels up for water landings. The plane is working good on land but I wonder if a separate AI model will be needed for water.

Hi Ilwoodward,I can tell you that I had to fight a lot until I learned to understand what is important to "convert" a flyable Amphibian Aircraft to be used as AI-Float-Plane.The most important "experience" was, that usually you have to have a closer look (and make changes) to the contact-point section (the FLOATS-section especially). AS an example I used to FLY (myself) the Empire-SHORT, but when I decided to use it for AI-traffic, it jumped and bumped all the time while "pushing back" from its (invisible) parking spot as well as it was usually unable to take off, as the contact points for the Gear had to be modified as well (due to the invisible (yes, INVISIBLE!) but still existing Runway at sealevel) as the power setting for takeoff was set inside the aircraft.cfg for Runway-takeoff [exacly at this moment, when the Aircraft inside water is going to "line-up" the runway]. So the floating-section as well as the Gear-section inside the contact points have to be modified.I am unable to explain here in a few words how this has to be done.You have to experience with those to values as well as with the Center of Gravity. But it is a good idea to "observe" what you are changing in the way that you may add LIGHT-effects like beacon, strobes or navred and navgreens inside the contact-point-section while modifying, so you can "see" what you are changing (and you will have to deletee them after making the modifications of course)Now, regarding your specific question, may I take as an example the CL415, a beautyful Amphibian: In this case, the problem is, that as it is intented to be used for AI-traffic, it cannot take-off with gears up (and it cannot land without gear down) due to the way AI-Traffic works. Nevertheless, it is no real problem, as the Real-Life-Model of the CL415 does the same: at leat after landing, the pilot -the aircraft still inside water- extends Gear-Down when aproaching the ramp to go out of the water. The CL415 is used (for example at Mallorca in Spain for the Spanish Fire Department, and in a "real" video I saw that this is exactly what happens, the Gear is down inside water when aproaching the ramp (the only difference is, that in real life the touchdown is made still with Gear-Up-PostitionNevertheless, it is possible to be used as AI-traffic. I made a video of it (using the CL415 after receiving the (french)-Tutorial of MOMOGTV. The zipname is available at at avsim, do a search for the Author, MAURICE AUDIN (who helped me a lot!) The AI-Video you can download (rightclick and save as) from my server, the Video-Title is AQUA ( http://www.helmut-stephany.de )If you need a modified aircraft-cfg-file for the CL415, I may send it to you (or I will upload it to my server)Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps,cheers, Helmut

Guest Kingair315

>Has anyone been able to convert an amphibian plane to AI?Hi,Ive been using GA-TRAFFIC for some time, and find that there are many aircraft which can be converted using this program to AI. It also uses many GA aircraft as is, for AI flights. Converting them if it can do so, is a matter of reducing the sizw to less than about 1.5mgIn the specificatons you use to set up the traffic, you can specify if a n aircraft is an amphib. As I dont fly them, have never gone to a field to see if the wheels are up or not. But, it may be possible to keep them up, if you only check the box for amphib.Dont know if it would help in the conversion, to make it only after designating it -only- as an amphib., it just might work.