Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

utility to merge "Airports.txt" file?

Guest fcJohn

I thought I recently downloaded a file which claimed to be able to compare Airport.txt files, and maked a merged file with no duplicates, but now I can't find it. Anyone know of anything like this, alternatly, an airports.txt file with all airports in FS9 would work, or maybe I'm missing something obvious- like how to generate it from within FS9.Thanks- John B.

Guest MikeS

>I thought I recently downloaded a file which claimed to be>able to compare Airport.txt files, and maked a merged file>with no duplicates, but now I can't find it. Anyone know of>anything like this, alternatly, an airports.txt file with all>airports in FS9 would work, or maybe I'm missing something>obvious- like how to generate it from within FS9.>Thanks- John B.Not sure of merging. I simply do them all manually. All I do are small GA FP's. Someone else may weigh in on this. However, if all you're looking for is a complete Airports.txt file, I'd just run the CollectAirports program that comes with TTools. It's more thorough than decompiling the default traffic file and using it. 720K TTools vs 184K default. Or you could pick up a neat little utiliy over at projectai.com called extract airports. Saves a ton of time and keeps the file size of airpots.txt down. It automatically extracts only those a/p's listed in a FP...VERY neat!Hope this helped.Mikehttp://www.flightontario.com/images/sig_mstanton.gif

Guest fcJohn

Thanks Mike for the response, I'll give Collect Airports a try. I did find the utility I was looking for. It's called Airport.txt updater, by Zsolt Szinyeri (yes that's his name}. It allows you to add missing airport entries into a airport.txt file automatically. For instance, I recently merged all of the UGA packages, as well as some other GA flightplans. When I went to compile it, it kept coming up with missing airports. After about a half hour of manually entering over 50 different entries, I gave up. Airport updater did it in less than five minutes and found over 1,500 missing airports. I now have what I believe is a comprehensive airports master file that I can use as the reference for the extract airports utility. --John B--

I've always used "Traffic Tools Companion" by Bill Schroeder.Though it's in the FS2002 section - it works very well and has some amazing features.