Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bob Z

AI Cruise Speeds

Guest qurious

Just a couple of comments on the previous posts.First of all thanks for letting us know that the source is in the AVSIM Library! (I wish I knew about that before I started looking at the file format, but then again figuring out how things work is half the fun).Regarding the size of the sectors, they are roughly 40 mile squares, and get smaller as you get closer to the poles. This is because the squares are spaced every .9375 degrees in longitude and .703125 degrees in lattitude (you can see this if you use the stats option with trafficbuilder). This also explains why you don't see that much AI across the channel, as the AI is only active in the sector that you fly in and the 8 sectors around it.Also, the traffic bgl size should not be different if the same routes are compiled because the sectors it flies through are calculated from a straight line between the airports and then tagged with the entry and exit time of the aircraft in that sector. The only reason I think the bgl file could grow in size is if an extra aircraft is added with a different calculated cruise speed.

Guest Bob Z

There are many variables but all I did was run @adder and recompile and the bgl gets smaller. I've gone thru the better part of a bottle of aspirin during this thread, so today is flying day. I'll take another look at it when I'm more refreshed.I don't have a bgl for each FP but have the FPs in alphabetical groupings as projects in AITM. A-J, K-O etc then merge the project and recompile.

Now, threads like this bring back 5 to 6 years of many posted memory's about FP issues.

Guest Bob Z

JimThat's a compliment. Actually I've been quite happy using the @ and subtracting 200 from the over 400 speeds, except for the swarm. But I just get the feeling that 'there's more there than meets the eye, I tell ya' and I'd like to know more about it.1.Today, I looked at the bgl file layout and the TTools v1.33 code and documentation in more depth. I set up a single FP from KMIA to KORD and back using the PAI733-2v6 model.The traffic bgl file size does change depending on the aircraft.txt speed. I compiled the above FP twice. One with a speed of 470 and another with a speed of 390 with no @ in either one. There is one more sector index and sector time field in the bgl using the 390 speed than in the 470 one. I suppose I could try this with a speed of 1 and then 999. Also, is there a utiltiy available that displays the traffic bgl sector data so that I don't have to look at hex?I suspect that the closer that the speed and distance/time numbers that are used to generate the traffic bgl coincide the more ai there will be in flyover sectors. At this point I only have a vague idea of what 'coincide' would mean.Am I close or totally off the mark?2.All of the following is in slew mode at normal speed..I watched the B737 in the above 470 speed bgl depart KMIA. It went off Traffic Toolbox about 53.7nm NW. I then reloaded FS to a time before the 737 left the gate and slewed my ac to about 53.7 NW of KMIA. The ai was still listed in Traffic Toolbox. It departed and got to my ac and it was still listed for the next 38.6 that it traveled past where I was.I tried this again, only this time I slewed my ac to just beyond the point where the parked ai at KMIA was no longer listed in Traffic Toolbox. I know I was right on his route from what I seen in Traffic Map on the previous flight. The ai never appeared.I then reloaded FS with my ac at the same spot just beyond the disappear point and set the time to a time that I knew the ai would be in my sector. The ai appeared.Why is that? My ac was in the same spot both times. When the ai was supposed to enter the sector I was in, it did not appear. If I reloaded with a set time, it appeared at startup.Actually, I think I read something about this somewhere before, but I don't remember what or where.