Sign in to follow this  

Plane won't start....

Hi!I am unable to start the Sahara (Malibu) normally. The only way I can start it is to open the throttle full. I am fairly confident I have the proper preflight completed. With throttle full open, the engine will catch, however, idles roughly and quits if I attempt to reduce the throttle setting. Acts like a "REALLY" cold engine. Sometimes the rpms will kick up.Do I need to re-install FlyII!? I followed the FAQ on patching and such. Thanks in advance.P4 2.0 Gig HZunbelievable amount of disk space (120gig)tons of memory (500 mb)OS Win2k proVisiontek G4Video Drivers 23.11

Hi Ken,Roger on the fuel pump!BobP :)

Could it be that your throttle axis is actually working your mixture?

Hi Malbeuf!Thanks for the suggestion but the axis are setting correctly. I uninstalled and reinstalled Fly!II and the same thing occurs. It acts very much like a very cold start. I am about to give up on it.Thanks again... BobP:)

Guest Josve

I was having troubles with the PA28 the same way,and I har run the engine on too high rpm,so the engine was damaged.....then I discovered the repair menu....You can also delete the .hst files and see if the problem disappears.Johnny"I'LL BE BACK"[div align=center]http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/josve/fly2/vas.gif][/div

I know it's been a long time since this post was made, but...The reason that Bob couldn't get the plane started is that he was flooding it. The Malibu Mirage (err...I mean "Sahara") has a pretty interesting start up procedure. The following works for me every time (the Mirage has become one of my favorite aircraft for the moment :-) ):1) Parking Brake - SET2) Airflow Induction - PRIMARY3) Fuel Selector - RIGHT/LEFT (AS DESIRED)4) Master Switch - ON5) Right/Left Magnetos - ON6) Right/Left Alternator - ON7) Propeller Control - MAX RPM8) Mixture - CUTOFF9) Throttle - 20%10) Fuel Pump - ON11) Prime Engine - SET MIXTURE TO RICH AND WAIT 1 TO 3 SECONDS12) Throttle - IDLE13) Fuel Pump - OFF14) Starter - PRESS AND HOLD 2 SECONDSStep 12 is the most important step. If you increase the throttle above idle, fuel flow kicks in before the engine really has a chance to get going and the engine floods (or if it engages, it runs really rough for about 5 minutes).It should be noted that the fuel pump does not need to be on after the engine is primed (though it does not appear to hurt either). Also, the oil pressure annunciator will stay illuminated for quite awhile if you don't do anything. So, just after the engine kicks and you see that (a) fuel flow is steady at 0.1 GPH, and (:( propeller is steady between 650 and 800 RPM, increase throttle until fuel flow is about 4.0 GPH and propeller is 1200 to 1400 RPM. The oil pressure annunciator will extinguish and you can then reduce throttle to idle while you finish up your pre-taxi work. Finally, there was a post about the autopilot not engaging on the Sahara. One thing that can easily be forgotten is the autopilot test button. The autopilot remains non-functional until that button is pressed and the autopilot runs through its own initialization sequence. After this has been accomplished, the autopilot will engage normally.Actually, the Mirage (err...I mean "Sahara" :-) ) is quite a pleasant aircraft to fly. It's almost (but not quite) as nice as the TBM 700. Hope this helps some aspiring Mirage pilot to give it a try...Cheers, Tony