Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Hairy Approach No. 6 (pics)

I have just uploaded a database update to the file library to aid in this approach. Look for the IGS Update for LSGS, Sion Switzerland. The update greatly extends the range of the localizer, DME, and glide slope so that the real world intercept procedures may be followed. The teardrop intercept takes place btwn 21 and 25.6 miles out. Sion is also part of Danny Masson's beautiful Swiss Airport Series - run to the library if you don't already have it. Then, unless you smear yourself on some mountain on the way, you'll have a beautiful place to set down in. :-) Beginning the turn to the Initial Approach Fix, Montana VOR

After reaching the IAF, we will turn outbound and follow the inner teardrop radial until reaching 21 miles out from Montana

Turning outbound and descending to 16,000 ft. The view out the front isn't so bad right now, but don't glance out the bank side (your screaming passengers will let you know what's going on!)

Intercepting the localizer and beginning the descent. The real world glideslope on this approach is 6 degrees! At this point, Fly!II cannot simulate a glideslope beyond 3 degrees, but I have added that change to the update. Eventually, the glide slope angle read will be rectified by one of the beta patches, so you'll be ready to lock on. For now, don't even think it - the GS is so far off you'll end up as a stain on a cliff! Follow the localizer descent profile to the letter.

Note the Minimum Descent for each stage - DO NOT descend below those altitudes until you pass that DME reading. Note that you are not to descend below 7400 until 12.0 DME. The final fix before continuing visually is at 7.5 miles. Do not descend below 4500 from this point on until you clear the last cliff!

Randall Rocke

At this point I'm a little high for the distance, but better safe than sorry

Approaching 4500 feet - I can just make out the airport (which is at 1585', but note the intervening mountainside and cliffs ahead

After you clear the last obstacle, you have to descend about 2,000' in a short distance to make the threshold. Danny's done a beautiful job with this airport - right down to the trees you have to clear before touchdown

Looks like we're going to make it - look back and you can see that final bit of mountain we had to pass before making the final descent

Danny's done a great job here. BTW, if you want to land the other direction (Rwy 08) you'll need to circle the right side of the valley at 4,000 ft., then let down quickly from downwind to final. This series of Danny's is really good - and just about all of them have difficult approaches. I'll probably be doing a series on his series, so to speak

Randall Rocke

Hi Randall, That's one of my favourite airport. I fly often from Sion to random airports in Switzerland. It'll be nice to try your approach, it will change from my usual "well lets just try and land the plane on the runway"CheersTom

Tom,Danny has included the IGS Rwy 26 approach chart with his airport package. Just remember to follow that descent profile. The GS is so far off right now that the needles will be buried at the bottom of the indicator when you start down from 16,000 - don't even pay them any attention.Let me know whether you pick up the localizer after the teardrop turn, or whether you had to fly back in the general direction of the airport before it came alive. Even though I had increased the range of the localizer, it was a couple of miles before I picked up the signal. The localizer is supposed to center at a heading of 247 degrees, so I completed the turn at 257 to set up a gentle intercept. After that, I went back in and edited the approach again before it was uploaded - I added another 5 miles to the range.

Randall Rocke

Guest GrantM

Randall,Love to fly in and out of Sion. Your procedural briefing inspired me to indulge again, especially since you provided the database update for LSGS... thanks!. Thanks for sharing this as well.Grant

Grant,Let me know how soon the localizer and its DME can be received after you make the teardrop turn - hopefully almost immediately now.I can't wait to shoot this approach again when the 6-degree Glide Slope is running! :-) Also, I'm hoping that we will be ready to apply offset localizers in a patch soon. This localizer comes in at a slight angle in the real world and I want to replicate that.

Randall Rocke