Sign in to follow this  
Guest Josve

LSZA (Lugano) IGS Update Uploaded (pics)

Lugano is another portion of Danny Masson's excellent Swiss Airport series. I've reset the glide slope to the correct angle (more on that in a moment), extended the localizer range and moved the DME transmitter to give a correct readout.Though these mountains certainly are more gentle than those around Sion, look out! They're big enough, and you'll notice that all of the Lugano Arrivals keep you away from the west where the big boys are!

This approach calls for a steep angle (6.65 degrees!) I've reset the glide slope to match, BUT...you'll have to wait for a future beta patch to use it! Ignore it for now, and follow the localizer descent profile on the chart! With the B200, I needed to average around 1500 fpm.

As you make the final approach, you are supposed to stay at or above the PAPI glide slope because of the trees below the approach path. If you are transitioning to land the opposite direction (Rwy 19), level off at 3600' and make a right-hand circuit around the valley - stay within 4 DME and make a 2700' descent to the strip!. In the real Circle-to-Land approach, there are 8 towers and/or hills ranging from 1020-2148' - how about a little addition, Danny? :-)

Danny has faithfully produced those trees you want to get over

This runway is moderate in length (4429'), so I'm going to set her down early and leave myself a little more room to stop properly

Randall Rocke

Hi Johnny, what's new in Norway? :-)

Randall Rocke