Sign in to follow this  
Guest DannyV

InfoMetar airports

How do you load new airports into InfoMetar? I fly around Perth Western Australia and, although Fly2 has all my local airport, InfoMetar does not recognise my training airfield YPJT (Jandakot), and tells me that it does not exist. Can I simply insert the particulars for this airfield, and if so, how??Ken.:-zhelp

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Ken,I may be wrong on this, (we'll need to hear from David Sandberg to get the complete info) but I believe that David included all the metar reporting stations in the world in Infometar. It may be that there are no metar stations at Perth, which is why you get no information. I know that metar coverage in Europe, for instance, is much thinner than in the U.S. I see that there are some metar stations in Australia, but they appear to be spread pretty thin.If I'm wrong and David just wasn't able to include or obtain info on those staions at the time he made Infometar, then you may have to download metar info through other sources, use Infometar to convert and load the file into Fly!

Here's the full story:It is possible that the YPJT airport doesn't have a METAR reporting station ... not all airports do. However, I'm going to assume that you already know that, and furthermore that you've determined that the YPJT station does indeed report METARs ... which also may well be true (I don't happen to know). If so, there's another explanation, which I'll proceed to cover now.The database of METAR stations that was built into Fly! v1.0 and Fly2K was not entirely current, even at the time of release, much less now ... and hence there are a number of stations that should be valid but are not. As all of the bold text is meant to emphasize, it is especially critical to note the distinction between airports and METAR reporting stations in the sim (as in real life). Although a particular airport may be present within Fly! (as a place to land at and take off from), it may still be unknown to Fly! as a METAR reporting station ... the two things are handled separately. KJYG, the airport in the town where I grew up, is a good example of this ... the airport is present in the sim, but any METAR I load for that station gets dumped right into the bit bucket by Fly!.When I created InfoMETAR, I considering including a more up-to-date version of the station database ... but eventually elected to stick with the exact same one that Fly! was using, for two reasons:[ol][li]because I knew that any reports from other stations would still be rejected by Fly! as unknown even if InfoMETAR knew about them[li]because the METAR thinning process becomes less effective if InfoMETAR's database doesn't match the one in Fly! (i.e., if you thin a cycle file and the algorithm happens to choose a reporting station that isn't known to Fly!, you can end up with a big hole in the weather coverage).[/ol]I'm not sure if TRI obtained an updated METAR station database between Fly2K and Fly II, but my hunch is that they probably didn't. I haven't tried to check, to be honest, since there hasn't been another release of InfoMETAR since the release of Fly II (and also because TRI elected not to include the raw database as a text file in Fly II as they did with the earlier release, so I'd have to check using trial and error).Footnote: one of these days I ought to try digging into wthrdb.bin to see if one could binary edit new stations into the database (or at least correct a few of the existing ones that are known to have incorrect position information). It would similarly be theoretically possible to hack into the binary database file that stores stations for InfoMETAR ... but I don't recommend doing so, and certainly can't support anyone who might break it in doing so. And there's very little point in doing so anyway, unless Fly itself gets similarly updated, for all the reasons explained above.- David Sandberginfomsig.jpg

David,Thanks for filling us in. My one sentence should have read: "included all the metar reporting stations in the Fly! world" :-)Ken, are there any stations showing up that are close to Perth? One way that I get around these types of situations is to pick a station nearby and put that into Infometar. In many cases that weather extends its coverage into my departure or destination point and gives me representative weather. (The station does have to be close to get away with this).

Just as an aside, I emailed Rich H a number of weeks ago now with an updated list of METAR Reporting Stations for Australia. The list included something like 140 stations or so, a far cry of the 20 or so in the default files. They were to be included in the next patch - I hope they are not forgotten ???Jandakot (YPJT) was included from memory as was Perth (YPPH) and Pearce (YPEA).The update also corrected may errors in ICAO designators for airfields, positions as well as airfield names. From speaking with Rich, he was going to update the necessary files and consider incorporating some way for users to amend/correct the files as well - fingers crossed...Cheers,Danny VickersAustralian Fly! GroupTupolev Tu-154 Project