Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

the inexorable march

Unfortunately due to a HD crash 6 months ago I had more or less stopped following the flight sim community for a period of time. I just popped back in here in time to see Rich Harvey's comments about the status of Fly. The thread is locked now but I couldn't resist adding my $0.02. (In fact it's been so long I forgot my avsim login and had to make a new one just for this post :)IMHO, FlyII is the best thing to happen to PC flight simming, probably ever. I recognize the realities of the market (believe me, I have first hand experience :-) ), and I see that there is an unavoidable fate. Also, on some level I respect what MS has done with their sim - clearly it holds an appeal to a broad market (by GA-sim standards), and it's well done and high quality in many ways.But, to me, FlyII comes closer to my "ideal sim" than anything else on the market. As a _systems_ simulator, I do not think Fly can be beat. Perhaps there are some 3rd party additions to the MS sim I'm unaware of that improve it in this area, but even if so, the point remains that out of the box, Fly has unmatched accuracy of panels and procedures. It's a marvelous piece of work, in many ways head and shoulders above its contemporaries.True, it isn't a perfect sim by any stretch. There are glaring flaws here and there, and for lack of a better expression, it's a finicky and high-strung piece of software. And yes, the user community will keep expanding and improving the sim for some time to come. But all that aside, it annoys me to no end that it's basically going to be a one-pony show for GA sims from here on out. I think Rich's comment was right on the money; you effectively can't start from scratch and compete with the MS sim at this point. This is not the sort of software some basement coding hacks crank out in a few months.I've been, with some inactive periods of a year here and 3 years there, involved in PC flight simulations since SubLogic's sim running on a TRS-80 in 1979 or 1980 or thereabouts. I've used most of the major GA sims on 4 major computer architectures over the past 20+ years. Many have been quite good in their own ways (FU3 comes to mind among recent sims). But FlyII stands in a class of its own, so this feels like the end of an era. The computing industry was once rich with diverse operating systems and HW platforms; now it's very nearly a monoculture. The same seems to be happening to flight simulators. Time and technological progress will conspire to increasingly marginalize a sim without active commerical backing. It's the inexorable march towards PC monotony. No matter how good the "winner" might be, you've still lost something by having nothing else.Well, after all is said and done, Rich and crew have certainly done something to be *hugely* proud of. I just think it deserved a better fate than it actually got.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Life is at times funny. You never know what's lurking around for FLY2. ;-)tony

SK,It's good to have you back! There are a lot of us here that believe that Fly!II has a lot to offer. The development continues - sometimes in spurts, sometimes slow - but it continues to improve regardless.(In the old forum, I signed in as Capvideo)