Sign in to follow this  

PhotoImpact 5

Where do you buy it ? What store or is it available by downloads. Jeff Akins

Hi,:-wave It was a full product on one of the computer magazines.(Computer Shopper in Dec 2001) Its by Ulead Systems. I have had it for ages in my box of CD roms and try'd it out for the first time last week. The article said "it gave Paint shop a run for its money..." and I have found it easier to use than paintshop. But when I use it I seem to loose transparency to the windows on some of the aircraft... Any hints please:-hmmm I think Im not doing something right :-vuur But hey, Im haveing loads of fun........:-laugh1 Mach 2 for fun!:-yellow1 My Downloads Are:Liverpool EGGP John Lennon Airport UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=17455EGNR Hawarden (Chester) Airport UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=18370www.yourspaceormine.com http://www.btinternet.com/~stephen_g_brown/steve.jpg

Hi folks,I am not familiar with PhotoImpact 5.I only use Paint Shop Pro 7.Pictures loosing transparancy , I can teel you about that.In Fly we use pictures with black windows.This is pure black RGB 0,0,0.Because the graphic machine in Fly is programmed to ignore thisooo black you can see the outsideworld.When you edit these files you must NOT use 000black.Just editing and saving gives no problem.In some graphic programs there are problems when do SAVE AS.So iI never SAVE AS ,but I always save,copy and rename.Every picture has a color index.The color pure black 000 has to be in index-field 0.Some programms make a mess of that and the 000 goes to another field.As Fly looks in the 0 field and cant find 000 things go wrong.Ther are files with red windows (ROTW uses them.)Go to EDIT PALETTE and you`ll see indexfield 0 is red.Pure red ,RGB 256,0,0Fly handles this the same way as it does 000.Alost all programs can`t save this type of file without changing thefielnumber in the COLOR-palette.When you wat to edit such file , do this.Open the file , you see the red windows and the picture is still 256 colors.Now open de Index Palette-editor in your program and change the 0 fieldfrom 256,0,0 (red) into 0,0,0 ( black ).Click OK and the windows will turn to pure black.Now increase colors to 16 mil.Edit the picture.Go back to 256 colors.Check the picture for false-black spots.Reducing the colors sometimes changes 1,1,0 into 0,0,0.Remove these spots.Save the file.Try it in the simulator.Look at the result.Most of the times I have to correct things several times but it is fun to do.Leen de JagerEHRD

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest DSandberg

I haven't done any of this type of editing, but I do know more than a little about using Paint Shop Pro (I was employed to work on the program for most of the last six years, and in fact was the main decision maker on it for quite some time).Are you saying that Fly! will make the windows transparent with red (255,0,0) in the first palette index as well as black? If so I'd venture to guess it probably doesn't matter what color is in that index spot, as long as you make sure that all of the transparent parts of the image (and only those parts) are using index 0 when the picture is reduced to 256 colors. PSP7 (and some earlier versions as well, though not so far back as the shareware 3.12 version) gives you the ability to indicate which palette index on a paletted image is transparent, and then to view the image with these pixels set to transparent, which makes it fairly easy to find any such transparency flaws. (At times you may find it useful to adjust the colors of the background transparency grid in order to reveal such flaws more easily.)One hint about maintaining transparency with PSP if you need to edit a texture in 24 bit: save a copy of the original palette before you edit the image, and then reload that same palette when it is time to reduce the image back to 256 colors, rather than doing a normal color reduction. This will restore the original palette indexes and map the image colors to those indexes, rather than making up new ones. As long as you aren't introducing many radically different colors into the image during editing this works quite well. If you are going to add radically different colors, change one or more of the less important palette index values to contain those "new" colors before you save the original palette (then undo the palette changes after saving the palette to restore the original image contents before promoting it to 24 bit).I can try to help with any PSP questions you might have, although I must stress that I've not attempted to edit Fly! textures, so I don't know any specifics of the TIFFs that Fly! uses or expects.- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

I've been using PhotoImpact for years, along side PhotoShop. PhotoImpact is by far one of the best image editing programs ever created... The possibilities artistically with its huge and superb Material and Texture galleries are simply astounding. Some of my best work is done in PI. Its also one of the very few image editors on the market that have top notch vector abilities right in the box. Its extremely strong in the text and effects areas as well - I design all web sites and skins with it, from the ground up. Its only downside is it doesn't handle massive image sizes near as well as PhotoShop (with its unmatched virtual memory system)... I'm talking gigabyte sized images here. But then again, neither does PaintShop. I also like PhotoShop's layering abilities better, but PhotoImpact does compete well even there.To the original question: yes it supports the full array of TIFF formats perfectly. As well as just about any other standard formats you can think of (including JPEG2000).I highly recommend PhotoImpact to all comers - its features completely outclass PaintShop Pro (forgive me David!), and for 10 dollars cheaper. Its price is $89.95 for the download version or $99.95 for the boxed version (PaintShop Pro is $99 and $109 respectively).http://www.ulead.com/pi/runme.htmTake care,ElrondPS: Here's a skin I recently whipped up in about ten minutes for one of my utilities, completely from within PI from the ground up. This includes the vector background mask that was converted to its 3D raster finish. All buttons of course have the four states as well: normal, hover, pressed and disabled - PI handles creation of these almost automatically.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d678e5355bf3f6e.gif

Guest DSandberg

> - its features completely outclass PaintShop ProHey! :)- David Sandberg

Whoops! :-) I didn't read the post above mine until after I had written that! Nothing against your fine work on PSP David... It really is excellent. I just happen to prefer PI.Ducks out of room quickly :-),Elrond

Manythanks for your comments,its just that some of the things I have done with this "excellent program" of which I do love, I have lost the trancparency of my windows. But you know what they say...."A good workman never blames his tools" or something like that ;)ache 2 for fun!My Downloads Are:Liverpool EGGP John Lennon Airport UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=17455EGNR Hawarden (Chester) Airport UK.http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=18370www.yourspaceormine.com http://www.btinternet.com/~stephen_g_brown/steve.jpg

Guest DSandberg

That's cool. There certainly are a few unique and nice features in the latest version of PI (although not nearly as many unique ones as their web site suggests).I haven't been a fan of that program since they initially popped up as a pure and simple PSP4 clone. At the time they even duplicated some obscure PSP bugs in controls and whatnot ... I mean it was so obvious as to be almost laughable. But I'll grant that PI has improved since then. :)In my opinion the latest version of either program makes for a very capable solution for texture editing.- David Sandberg

Elrond,Is it possible to use PhotoImpact to create Enhanced Scenery with Pascal's software?Rodger.