Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken Meier

Removeing Duel Boot?

Guest Ken Meier

Due to problems with FS I recently reinstalled Win 98SE as a duel boot with XP to see if it would solve my problem. I solved it so all works great in XP and I would like to remove the duel boot and Win98SE without having to reinstall XP. I once heard there is a comand line that will change the master boot record and accomplish this. Does anyone know if this is true and what it is?Thanks,K

Ken,Change your folder options to show hidden files. Run a search for boot.ini Change the boot.ini so it looks a little something like this. Replace the { and } with square brackets.{boot loader}timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS{operating systems}multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetectHope this helps :)Oh and I am not responsible for any damange of loss of data that may result in changing the system files.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest Ken Meier

John,Thanks for your reply.My existing boot.ini looks exactly like your example except the end of the last line says; /fastdetectC:="Microsoft Windows" The C:="Microsoft Windows is added on my file. Will deleting this make the difference? I put Win98SE on my F drive, XP on the C drive.I want to be sure before I jump.K

Ken,Well since Win XP is on your primary drive, I can't see any problems with replacing your current boot.ini file with the entries I posted. I am pretty sure it'll work fine, but I will ask around for you on some other forums I browse just to make sure 100% :)Edit: Oh also, does it boot to Win98 or XP as first option?Edit2: I just thought, you're probably running the home edition of XP, no? So adding the "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" might not be wise :D Have you formatted Win98 from your system yet?

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

Guest Ken Meier

John,XP is the first optionI have XP ProNo, Win 98 is still there, I haven't changed anything yet for fear of being unable to boot. This happened to me once with NT and a duel boot when fiddling around with the boot ini.I changed the time to 1 second so the delay is minimal, but it would be nice to get rid of it.