Sign in to follow this  

Flying Bell 407 and Fly 2

Hi...I am an experienced helicopter pilot in FS 2002 but it seems unbelievably difficult to fly the Bell 407 in Fly 2. Can anybody assist. ThanksRichard;)

G'day Richard,>Hi...I am an experienced helicopter pilot in FS 2002 but it >seems unbelievably difficult to fly the Bell 407 in Fly 2. Welcome to reality! :-)Whatever lead you to believe flying a helicopter should be easy?Have you downloaded the Bell 407 fix file from the Avsim library? This may help you. Sorry I can't give the link but you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding it.Any further advice is just practise, practise, practise.HELICOPTERS DON'T FLY .... THEY JUST BEAT THE AIR INTO SUBMISSION. :-)Cheers,Roger @YSSY

Guest Lindy

Hi Richard. I don't know what settings you used in FS2K2 to fly your choppers with as you don't mention them. Ironically, when I first tried my hand at helicopter flying, it was with the Fly!2 choppers. No, they aren't easy, but it didn't take me long to get the feel for them. (I had NO virtual, or real, chopper experience at the time.) When I got FS2K2, I eagerly tried its Bell 206 and found it impossible. I flew the Hughes 500D and couldn't get it to go FORWARD -- it kept wanting to fly backwards on liftoff. (I'm sure you can relate. ;-) ) After MUCH practice and HoverSafe lessons, my chopper flying in FS2K2 has improved somewhat.I recently got back into Fly!2 and naturally jumped into a Bell 407. No real problem and I was even able to land them without too much difficulty. So just practice a bit more........ you'll get it.One thing Fly!2 has over FS2K2 with regards to helicopters is that you can configure your settings and controls separately from the fixed wing aircraft. Play with the options settings and think of it as practicing for a checkride in a new aircraft.Good luck.-Lindy :-wave :-rotor

Hi Rodger...yes I know they are not easy to fly but the way mine behaves in FLy 2 is something else. Thanks for the tip on the heli fix....I will try and track it down. Have a great holiday mate!Richard

Thanks Lindy for your comments. I didn't realize you could configure FLY 2 for heli and fixed wing separaetly. What a great idea. I am using a precision pro joystick..any suggestions for settings? Richardps. Happy Ho;idays Lindy

Guest Jan

Hello Richard.Flying helicopters should not be that hard.Start witheasyer settings, like no wind and torque effects off.If you do chosewind,always take off,hover and land into it.But most important, getsome pedals.There are reasons why real helos don't twist their cyclicto control the tail :)FlyII support multiple input devices, so you could also have a separate collective.Adjust the seathight to get thebest view of you landing area.Scroll the panel so you only see the most important inseruments.Then you have a better view out the window.And then just keep on practising.In my company even mechanics do flyand land helos during testflights, so it's not THAT difficult.By the way, I use the pedals from a racing wheel.Then I can use it for driving cars too :)Have a nice flight.Jan

Hi Rich!Try this, its not realistic to the Real thing but it will Fly just like a Helicopter in MS2002. I too have used Helicopters in other sims like MS2002. But in real life they just dont fly that easy, hey everyone would have a licence ;-)Check here:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID14Steve Brown "The Best Aid To Navigation, Is Having Been There Before" ;-)

Thanks for your encouragement Jan....I was starting to feel like a dummy behind the stick in Fly 2. The pedals sounds like a good idea. Best of the season to you and your family.Richard

Thanks Steve....this should help my learning curve alot! Happy Holidays Steve from Vancouver Island.Richard

I have long lost relatives in Vancouver.....Your not one of them are you?;-)Steve Brown "The Best Aid To Navigation, Is Having Been There Before" ;-)