Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Another Fly2/ TS question

Thanks to all who responded to my question earlier this week.I have a problem rendering scenery...I tried to render about a 200 mile radius area around Plattsburgh, NY which covers a HUGE area including Montreal, Albany, and Boston. It took 2 days almost to do and when finished was fine for about a 60 mile radius (except for an ugly white line at the Canadian border) but everything else was just an ugly purple texture, nothing else. It's like being on Mars. What did I do wrong? Is the area too big to render in one big block like that? I just used the "wizard" prompts to start making the scenery and seected render from the drop down menu. Plus, the files in the "output" subdirectory where like 40 gigs total!!!!!!!!Help!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

My guess is that the area in question was far too large to render properly. As for the Canadian area, there is no data in the USGS for Canada, so you'll need to follow the tutorial on that subject and download and use shapefiles and other data manually if you want to TS outside of the U.S.I would suggest making no more than a global tile at a time - that should work well, and actually allow you to access your computer from time to time. :-) Also, if you make scenery areas larger than that, it will pretty well bring Fly!II to a halt as it attempts to load the scenery into memory.If your computer has any trouble handling a global tile, then you can reduce to a 1/4 tile at a time, but a global tile works best. Be sure to use "snap to grid" so TerraScene will render the exact amount to allow bordering tiles to function properly.