Sign in to follow this  
Guest Colins2

selecting startup airports/runways/aircraft

Hi,I've managed to change my startup airport/runway through the dubious practice of loading the entire airports.pod and runways.pod files into emacs, searching the (binary) data for the airport I wanted, and finding the "USblahblah" string that goes with them to add to fly.ini.But there must be some better way to accomplish this :-). Feel free to point me to a FAQ or something like that, but I just didn't see it listed in the pinned FAQ in this forum, and searching didn't turn up much either.Actually what I really want is to start in some defined location on the tarmac. Can I do that?Thanks...

Mad,Yes...Actually, Allen Kriesman created two utilities for this. The first is Flystart.exe. This allows you to preset the location, aircraft, engine on/off, skies.ini, render.ini, and camera.sav (camera hotkeys) for that aircraft before starting Fly!II.The second utility is Flystart.dll - This program can be used with or separate to Flystart.exe and sets the startup position for each airport. After you choose the location, you can quickly save it - the flystart.dll will recall the same position the next time you start at that airport, etc.Now, there may be some problems...these programs worked great before the arrival of the v240 patch. Though I haven't had an opportunity to run these programs with the new patch, some persons have reported that they were crashing with this and other pre-v240 DLLs. You might want to download them and give them a try. If you crash, then set them aside and let's see if Allen can rewrite them so there are no compatibility problems with the new patch.

Randall Rocke

Randall - thanks muchly, I will have a go with those utilities!

Guest Colins2

MadmaxA long while ago, I wrote dexeditor to create/edit dex files for most of the databases.One of the functions is to export a Fly! database to a dbf file for easy viewing with Access, Excel etc.Might be easier than emacs?Colin