Sign in to follow this  
Guest pilotsim7828

Is this worth the size ?

Guest pilotsim7828

Just spent a hour and a half , Terrascened KLXVLake co airport Colorado. But the size is 166Mb. IS IT WORTH IT ?Jeff Akins

I think only you can decide whether it is worth it for you. I'm not sure how anybody else could tell you that :)Best I can give is my opinion: it is easily worth that and more. The default Fly2 terrain is good in a static sense, but it is also repetative, because there are only a few distinct land types, with no roads and so forth. The Terrascened areas add (to my eyes) more visual variety, and thus less boredom and more realism. Of course it still is not as much as you would get from a real orthophoto, but considering how hard it is to come by truecolor orthophotos, terrascene is the next best thing to add visual variety to terrain.Also, these days 166 Mb is tiny! Hard drive prices are less than one US dollar per gigabyte now. 166 Mb is easily less than 20 cents of disk space. I have around 25 Gb of terrascened terrain, and still growing, so that I can make long flights and never leave terrascened areas. Even all that together is $25 of disk space, not much (imho) for an enjoyable hobby. That's maybe the cost of 3 movies.I do not consider render time to be an important factor, because (1) it is the machine's time, but not _my_ time, and (2) you only render once, but use the results an arbitrary number of times.That's my opinion...John/madmax

Guest Steve Brown

WowWell Jeff, this area I have never done (terreascene).But I tell you, In my interest "YES" its worth it, those piccies look fab. I have also seen "madmaxs" piccies he posted too, they all just make me hungry for it... flying that is!Stevehttp://mysite.freeserve.com/fly2theuk/aragon.JPGSceneryhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2tms&Go=SearchRepaintshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...y2Air&Go=SearchOther fileshttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/search.php?Se...2Misc&Go=Search

Guest dajackman

I have Terrascened almost the entire area of the Washington sectional. I beleive that it is well worth the disk used. I can fly VFR without using ANY navaids! Try that with any other sim. I can almost find the street I live on! Way cool!!! With the price of hard drives now-a-days I feel this is a small investment. The scenery you get is just breath taking. I have gotten to the point that I will not fly somewere that has not been Terrascened yet.

TerraScening adds so much to the VFR flight environment, I would certainly recommend it. I make no scenery smaller than a global tile however, so my average scene size is 400 MB!Personally, I do most of my flying under IFR rules using real weather, so I prefer to TerraScene global tiles around the airports I fly into most. This makes for a realistic experience during the approach and departure phases.

Randall Rocke

Guest pilotsim7828

Thank you for all the replies, But As wayne has done to terramodels, He has almost all airports covered, How would i go about getting all the airports that people would be interested in, Should i request a list or , Just do my own and let people pick and chose , Themselves Jeff Akins

Unless you did some hand-painting, you could post your TerraScene project file (TSP) and any custom graphic/tile settings (TRP file in your "...TerraScene2textures" folder.I did this when I did some custom settings on the Grand Canyon. That way anyone with TerraScene can re-do your work on their own. -DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v41.09, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest pilotsim7828

Thanks David, I`ll Do just that , As my last scenery od Kden ( Denver Intl) =1.29 GB 14 Of 14 Files Jeff Akins