Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

New comer to Fly! 2K

After having use FS98 and CFS1 for a while, i finally bought Fly2K latelly (i am on low budget you know...). Now, since the internet site only maintain info about their new baby, Fly II, and that anywhere i go i can only heard about Fly II ( Fly 2K must be very old stuff right ? ) can anyone tell me more about patches i should run ( my installed version is 1.87 ) and may be answer to those few questions...1- First, i would like to know if Fly2k is something intermediate betwwen Fly 1 and Fly 2 ? I think it is a kind of Deluxe Fly 1 version, but i am not sure.1- Since i am canadian, and living in the montreal area, i am really surprise to see that major rivers are not there at all, and even worst, there is a big lake just beside Mirabel Airport (one of the two montreal international airports) that doen't exist in reality. Only the montains are at the good places, not the lake, nor the river: they seems to be genereted randomly by the program. Now, Canada is not Botswana or Zimbabwe... (without any offense to the people of those contry). On this point, FS98 is more accurate (even showing the olympic stadium) than Fly 2K. So, i had concluded that i must add a third party scenery, but i foond no scenery available for montreal area for Fly 2K. 3-Another thing, does the scenery for Fly II are compatible for Fly 2K ? I will have someone telling me to try and see right ? But if someone already know, it gonna save me a huge download time.4-Finally, my PC is Freezing quite often with Fly 2K. Since i am running it on a Pentium III, with 450 megaherts, 9.5 gig hard drive, 256 meg of RAM, and an ASUS video card (64 megs) i don't think it is a hardware problem. Looks much more as a software problem. Does anyone as similar experience ?Thanks a lot for any advise.Chris.

Guest pilotsim7828

Chris. First of all , Welcome !Fly! is older than Fly! 2KGo to the Avsim.com , And Go to the search page, To the View category.At the drop down arrow , Go to Fly!.... Click on " Change Category" ... The do a search for,"Patches" The Sdk Developers --1.01.88 Is a good one to start with. As for your stuttering frame rates?I have had a PIII 350 mhz , And ran fine with only 128MB Ram. Now after rebuilding the machine with a new Motherboard, It`s upgraded to (Done By Myself )AMD Athlon 1.3GHZ K7S5A256 DDR RamATI Raedeon 8500 DV Video Card, ( with 125 Cable T.V. Channels)Cable Modem,1st Drive C:=20 GB 2nd Drive =30GBCD/RW & DVD ROM. I have no problems with any Machine, Except when I Installed the ATI Video card for the first time Sorry , If I could not helpJeff Akins

Chris,Fly!2K is indeed an advanced Fly! I would guess the main thing that is causing you problems is you probably don't have a proper VCF (Video Card File) set up for your card. It's not too difficult, and I will give you a link to a tutorial that will guide you through this process in a moment.The following is a copy from an old post from the "Fly!2K days" that lists many of the items to add and patch to get the most out of Fly!2K.-----------------------------Fly! 2K comes with some of the patches and updates built-in. With that in mind, remember that you are at the ver 1.01.87 level.Included with Fly! 2K are the following items: Sky! and Infometar. Load these programs - they are fantastic! Both Sky! and Infometar have new versions out - you'll find them right here at Avsim.com. When you install Sky!, you also add new textures to all the runways and taxiways in Fly!, so one thing you definitely won't need is the update: Runways.Next I would download the following:--Ground Control. Replaces the Fly! generic scenery with far better generic scenery.--Sky! updates and additions - again, go to Avsim--Patch (VERY IMPORTANT) - the SDK 1.01.88 (User) or (Developer) upgrade. Without this patch, you won't be able to enjoy many of the latest and greatest add-ons for Fly!, including the following:--ALL of Rob Young's fantastic flight models and updates to the default Fly! aircraft. Want your flying to feel and perform like the real thing? Get all of these, and make certain they're the latest versions.--Flyscripts! This scripting program opens up all kinds of possibilities for adventuring, ATC, you name it - in fact, it spawned:--C4TO (Cleared 4 Take Off). This fantastic program has changed the rather bad ATC of Fly! (at least it had one) to a very liveable one. In order to have the latest combo do the following: Install the first versions of Flyscripts! and C4TO. Then install the update for Flyscripts! followed by the update for C4TO and you'll be in business!--Download all of the great scenery (geographic and some airports). The majority of these are on Avsim. Great stuff here, whether satellite or Terrascene.--Terrascene II - bake your own great scenery!--Check out some of the other aircraft! Because of the complexity (and accuracy) of Fly!, aircraft are not easy to make. I would give special mention to: Rob's Learjet, a fantastic Mooney Ovation and Citabria, etc.Payware - you can't beat this stuff!--ANY of the PMDG (Precision Manuals Development Group) Airliners. The new B777 is probably the best all-around aircraft in a flight sim (for that time). (I believe this is still available)-- the Rhein-Muhr custom Fly! scenery. This is the best current scenery for Fly! (at least prior to the release of Fly II). (This may be available through the AVsim store).Even with the advent of Fly II, there's tons of great scenery and other add-ons for Fly!2K in the library.--------------------------------------Now, as far as creating a custom VCF file is concerned, go here: http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/vcf/index.htm to Elrond Elvish's Fly! v1.x Video Card & VCF F.A.Q. Follow the procedures he outlines (including the Appendixs for fine-tuning) and you should be running sweet. Enjoy!

Randall Rocke