Sign in to follow this  

Is reinstall always necessary?

I'm wondering if I should reinstall. I followed the patch/update process from the day Fly2 hit the shelves to the final patch. But I wonder if my airport beacons don't appear because of some hangover from the earlier patches that a later patch missed.Is everyone else seeing a beacon at every airport that has one?And I don't see any windsocks either...

What is the following line set to in your fly.ini file:loadDefaultSceneryModels= under the SIM section?

Randall Rocke

I thought I had read something on this topic long ago, so I believe I have the right value in loadDefaultSceneryModels...hope I'm right!Is 3 the right value to get beacons?

3 is correct. I saw a post awhile back where someone recommended changing the setting to "1" to resolve a tower on the runway problem, and was concerned that such a setting might remove all such scenery objects from the sim. I hope someone can help you on this - I'm not sure what all of the settings control for this ini line and I haven't been able to locate my copy of the fly.ini "explained" doc to check it out. This may have nothing to do with your problem.Though I rarely recommend a reinstall, it might be worth doing this time. If you do, be sure to clean out the original directory and defrag etc. As a beta team member I have had to uninstall and reinstall Fly! II several times after beta testing sequences and had no problems.

Randall Rocke

I'm fairly well versed in the .ini files now. Must have some other problem... I suppose all I can do is ask if everyone else sees a beacon at each airport, so I know it's not simply "something you have to live with." Fly2 should give me a nice rotating beacon everywhere I expect one to be, right?Also, is it normal that airport lights fade out at 6 miles or so, no matter what? I'm hoping Fly would give me a lightpoint on airports at 15 or 20 on a clear night!

Last night I deleted and reinstalled Fly2. Strange to make such a drastic change in my machine, after 3 years.But now it works! I have beacons!Unfortunately they aren't as visible as runway lights. Has anyone figured out a way to tweak the beacons? Would it be possible to eliminate green taxi light vertices and amplify the greenlight texture, so that the only green light in the sim would be the beacon and it'd be huge?