Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Fontana Lake TS Pack (Carolinas Project) (pic+)

The Fontana Lake area scenery pack will be ready for upload this evening. Adjoining the Knoxville/Gatlinburg tile, this global tile continues through the Great Smoky Mountains into Cherokee, NC and Fontana Lake. Continuing south, this scenery area extends through portions of western South Carolina and NE Georgia, including Toccoa and Hartwell Lake to the SE.Over Andrews, NC:

The link below - a view over Fontana Lake:

Randall Rocke

hmmmm...what was the visibility yesterday - certainly less than 10 miles?I do (of course) remove all the clouds for new scenery posts - if I would download the metars for an average day in the Smokies before I snapped my shot, no one would see the landscape. :-lol

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

I think Bart was trying to make a funny. Randall, I am still having a problem accessing the Terraserver. Keep getting an Error=302.I can access the Terraserver through explorer, using their internet address, and download airport scenery. I save as .bmp, but when I go to TM it will not load the .bmp file. I know that Allen's program crops the image to what appears to be 400 x 400. I have tried to email Allen but the message keeps coming back. Don't know if his server is down or he has changed his email address.Any ideas on how I can get an image into the TM program?

>I think Bart was trying to make a funny. yup...and so was I. :-)>Any ideas on how I can get an image into the TM program?Interesting - ever since I put the original "grabber" back in, it's been working. It's not always fast, but it does work.Did you keep a copy of the original grabber file after you copied it back in? If the grabber has become corrupted, recopying the original back into TM might do the trick. If you don't have the original file anymore, then reinstalling TM might do it.The only other thing I can think of would be a firewall or security issue.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Thanks Randal. I did download the TM from AVSIM again and reinstalled thinking the same as you that the program may be corrupted. No luck!!I had not thought of the firewall, but I will turn it off and try again. I can download a picture by going directly to the site, but it is not as good as what I get through the TM program.Is Bart going to do airports in the Carolinas for you? If not, I will give it a try if the TM program will download the pictures.

Wayne,As far as I know, Bart's only working on some of his favorite GA Ohio area airports - also, a drive failure and a busy schedule have cut back the amount of time he can put in on them. If you would like to add airports to the Carolinas, that would be great!There are some fine airports already out for the area, so you might want to take a look in the library for what's already been done. Besides your own work, there is some from authors David Coniglio and CPSPOK. CPSPOK's work is in Myrtle Beach and appears to be all custom and Fly! models. The problem with this is the polygon count is off the scale - I have to reduce my settings quite a bit in order to fly in & out of that area. A low-polygon scenery would be helpful for that area, as wonderful as CP's work is. I believe David's work is mainly TM, and has good frame rates - I think they're all in North Carolina.I will be working on a couple of tiles to the east of Gatlinburg and Fontana Lake next. After that, I will be taking a short break from the Carolinas for a couple of TerraScene projects in Arizona (Phoenix & Sedona) for some friends. Then, I'll return to finish the remainder of the Carolinas.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

I noticed after installing your scenery for FFA the dynamic aircraft were four feet into the ground. That will have to be corrected. That would mean that those persons who don't install your scenery will have the dynamic aircraft four feet above the ground when taxing.

Interesting - that would have to be from the elevation updates included with the TerraScenery. I'm sorry for any trouble this has caused you with your original scenery. I guess there are two ways to handle this, as not everyone is going to install my scenery:1. I could upload a second version of Kitty Hawk that had no elevation updates included, so as to be compatible with your dynamic aircraft.2. You could keep your original version of FFA in the file library for those who do not use my scenery, while providing a second version to be used with the TerraScene set.

Randall Rocke

Guest Eagle

Randall I will include in the README file a note that the airport scenery works with your scenery and will also include on the information screen when uploading to AVSIM.I will also change the information screen for the first file to explain that the airport scenery is for the default FLY scenery.Since I have downloaded and installed your scenery for the Carolinas and will develop the airports I have to wonder if this is the same problem I will have with those choosing to use the FLY default scenery.I will have it beta tested before uploading. Of course this should only be a problem when using dynamic vehicles.

>Since I have downloaded and installed your scenery for the>Carolinas and will develop the airports I have to wonder if>this is the same problem I will have with those choosing to>use the FLY default scenery.This is a good point, Wayne. You're really the "pioneer" in the use of dynamic modeling. If you had these problems at sea level, imagine what might happen with the mountainous terrain of the western regions and the updated elevations.

Randall Rocke