Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Lost DATA Files ATTN: Randall Roche

Guest GOODY

Randy:I am sure you will remember the problems I had trying todo your original Phoenix-Sedona files.I had problems with all the things I tried to do with theDATA files. I eventually LOST all the data files!!!!!!!!Do you know any way I can recover these lost files???I would appreciate if you can send me your DATA files if thatis possible.GoodyGoody@cableone.net

Goody,If you've accidentally deleted your data directory, then you've lost all the airports and taxiways you've ever installed. My data directory won't help you at all, as we don't have the same components installed in our Fly! II setups.When you were attempting TerraScene rendering, you were told to rename your regular data directory (not delete it). A new temporary data directory should have been made just for rendering and slicing. When your scenery was finished you were to delete the temporary data directory, then rename your original data folder back to : "data". Therefore, the original data should not have been deleted.Did you rename the original data folder as the instructions specified? Did you ever rename the folder back to "data"? If not, maybe your data isn't lost - you just need to find that folder (should be in Fly! II) and name it back to "data".Now, if you did indeed delete the real data folder, you'll need to reinstall all of the airports and taxiways to get them back - no one else's data folder will help you.

Randall Rocke

Guest Colins2

Randall,If Goody has lost the data folder, then it shouldn't be such a big deal.Most of his installed scenery, taxiways etc. should be in pods and not in the data directory at all.I'm not so sure about the airports - I don't have any installed, but aren't they in pods also?Colin

Colin,That's true - most of the airports that are made today are podded. However, that's not true of many of the early airports that were made with the built-in scenery editor. Most of these were distributed unpodded. I have, for instance, close to 30 airport sceneries in data subfolders. I suppose that I can pod them myself in the future and get them out of there, but for right now, I'd lose them and have to reinstall them if the data folder was lost.Goody, if you didn't have many of these, maybe that won't affect you that much - however, you would still need to reinstall the following if you had them:--If you used any of Wayne Robert's airport sceneries, you would lose all of his taxiways, as he didn't pod any of them. Unfortunately, too many scenery makers have not been podding the taxiways, so a minimum of 2 files (sometimes 3) has ended up in end-users data directories for every one of these airports. I try to pod all of these when I receive a scenery that has them unpodded. Just did a little calculation - if I hadn't podded unpodded taxiways, I would have about 106 taxiway files in my data folder right now - that's 53 airport taxiways sets I would have to reinstall if the data folder were lost--A number of podded airport sceneries also included portions that had to be stored in the data directory--A number of model sets depend on model files such as AFG, Biberall, Dave's Models, etc. MLF files for these libraries were stored in the data directory, though they may have had more to do with scenery-making than scenery-usage.--Some panel updates were stored in the data directory

Randall Rocke