Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Does Infometar provide upper winds for FLY2?

That's the question. FLY2's weather can generate winds aloft through its menu.So I wonder about Infometar's ability to do the same. As far as I can tell Infometar downloads METARs showing only surface winds.So is it possible to incorporate winds aloft like Jeppesen does in FS?Eytan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In a word, no. (Sorry.)If you'd like a few more words than that, here goes ... :)The existing version of InfoMETAR works solely with METAR reports, which by definition never include winds aloft data. And while Fly2 does allow winds aloft to be set within the program, it doesn't have a way to import weather data directly from any format other than METARs (which is precisely why InfoMETAR is also limited to METARs). The Jeppesen data for MSFS may utilize FD forecasts in combination with METAR data to provide such winds, but that's only an educated guess on my part.Adding real world winds aloft support to Fly2 via FD forecasts is theoretically possible via the SDK, but would be a non-trivial project. I would like to add this support to InfoMETAR at some point, but I haven't had the opportunity to embark upon this (for one thing, it would be a major rewrite of InfoMETAR and would involve a major paradigm shift for the utility). To my knowledge no one else has tried it either (although a pseudo-random winds aloft generator was written a while ago, and should be in the AvSim file library).[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]KFCM 252153Z 14009KT 10SM FEW100 BKN200 OVC250 29/21 A2989 RMK AO2 SLP115 T02940206[/td][/tr][/table]

David,Too bad about that. Once you get above 30000 feet, some serious winds start blowing. So flight planning has to take these into account, avoiding head on jettreams, otherwise, you're going to burn a lot of expensive avgas.I can see the effect upper winds have on a plane's course in FS with Rwx loaded. The plane has to make a vector correction to keep on track.Eytan