Sign in to follow this  
Guest richpress

Render.Ini - Missing Lines?

When "tweaking" the render.ini, I noticed that I am missing some lines that others suggest setting. For example, here is my original, default render.ini file (with just the mipLevelCount changed to 2):ORIGINAL RENDER.INI FILE IS BELOW[Graphics]mipLevelCount=2vertexIndexFormat=1premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=0maxTextures64_565=16maxTextures128=72maxTextures128_565=999maxTextures256=20maxTextures256_565=32maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=0maxTextures1024=1mipMapFlag=896maxTextures64=16[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures256_565=0NOW, here is a suggested tweak file (thanks to BOB J):maxTextures32=32 maxTextures32_565=32 maxTextures64=32 maxTextures64_565=32 maxTextures128=72 maxTextures128_565=250 maxTextures256=30 maxTextures256_565=230 maxTextures512=8 maxTextures512_565=5 maxTextures1024=3mipMapFlag=896 See the problem? In Bob J's suggestion, look at this line: maxTextures32_565=32 In my original render.ini file, it doesn't exist!Why is this, and what is it for? Do I need these extra lines?Thanks for your help - I am absolutely totally confused on what to put where in the render.ini file, what to keep, what to delete, etc.I am finding that Fly2 stutters an awful lot, and am getting obviously poor frame rates. I'm a fairly technical user, so have done all the basics: no running programs, swap files properly set, clean temp dir, IRQs properly configured, etc.Regards,SteveSYSTEM SPECS:Dell 8200 P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 RDRAM 800, 80/120 GB ATA133 HDD, GeForce4 Ti4600 w/44.03 Omega Drivers, DirectX 9.0b, WinXP Home, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with 6.1 speakers, CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, CH Products USB Rudder Pedals

Guest Fly II Pilot

Steve (guess you do have a name... ;-) ),Since you have a GeForce, you should change the vertexIndexFormat entry from 1 to 0. You shouldn't have any problems with the kind of box you have. You have a fast CPU, plenty of memory and a great graphics card. I have a slower CPU and no problems with Fly!2. Attached is my render.ini file, just rename it to .ini instead of .txtHope this helps!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p..._aamigorena.jpg

Thank you very much for your help! I looked at my current render.ini file that I am using (not the original render.ini). It EXACTLY matches what you posted up as an attachment. I guess I'm on the right track then!Any further idea on why some lines are different in the render.ini files???Regards,SteveSYSTEM SPECS:Dell 8200 P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 RDRAM 800, 80/120 GB ATA133 HDD, GeForce4 Ti4600 w/44.03 Omega Drivers, DirectX 9.0b, WinXP Home, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with 6.1 speakers, CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, CH Products USB Rudder Pedals

Guest tonyc

A great deal has been written on this subject, and you can find it in this forum. However, you need to be aware that your video memory and your agp aperture are very much tied to the number of texture slots are assigned in your render.ini. From here starts the adventure: 1.you are allocating too many 1024 slots--change this to 1 or else you are stealing valuable memory from other more important areas. The 1024 is used primarily for aircrafts, and it affects frame rates only when you are looking at more than one plane with "outside" view.2. the -256 after the first number represents 16 bit textures. If you have "complex scenery" checked off , you're using a lot of 32 bit textures, and your current render ini allocates more slots to the 16 bits than to the 32 bit. Here' s my render ini for comparison. I have an amd 2600, 512 ram and a geforce fx5600 256 mem. Look at my render ini keeping in mind that if you don't have this much memorery, you've got to go much lower. Where I place the emphasis should give you an idea. My fps are in the 20 in heavy overcast to 50 in vfr weather. also, you may know that the 999 allocated is a FLY2 specific code that allocates remaining video memory to those texture slots. Use this number to make sure that all available memory goes to one place. the 256 (not the 256_512) slots come into play primarily if you like to fly in cloud intensive situations.tony

Thank you Tony, very much for your response. Here is further insight into my configuration:Renderer: Direct X 8 T&L (Is this the right DirectX choice, I'm not sure)Resolution: 1024x768Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce4 Ti4600 (Omega KX 1.4403)Bit Depth: 16 bits/pixelHigh Detail Resolution Checkbox: Box is checked (using this)Video Memory: More than 32MbFly2 Version: 2.5.240DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0bHere is my render.ini file[Graphics]mipLevelCount=3vertexIndexFormat=0premultiplyColorAndAlpha=0allowAutoMipMapping=0directTextureFlag=0[Textures]maxTextures32=32maxTextures64_565=32maxTextures128=72maxTextures128_565=250maxTextures256=30maxTextures256_565=230maxTextures512=8maxTextures512_565=5maxTextures1024=1mipMapFlag=896maxTextures64=16[NonAGP]maxTextures256_565=0[AGP]maxTextures256_565=0I have a question for you, please:You said on point #2:2. the -256 after the first number represents 16 bit textures. If you have "complex scenery" checked off , you're using a lot of 32 bit textures, and your current render ini allocates more slots to the 16 bits than to the 32 bit. - I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Where is the -256 after the first number? Ohh, I just looked again, do you mean the -256 BEFORE the next number (i.e. 256_next number as in maxTextures256_565=230)? After what specific line in my render.ini? Can you please clarify for me?I would like to maximize my FPS for VFR flying under clear conditions, using 32-bit complex scenery.Regards,SteveSYSTEM SPECS:Dell 8200 P4 2.6 Ghz, 768 RDRAM 800, 80/120 GB ATA133 HDD, GeForce4 Ti4600 w/44.03 Omega Drivers, DirectX 9.0b, WinXP Home, SoundBlaster Audigy 2 with 6.1 speakers, CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, CH Products USB Rudder Pedals

Guest Fly II Pilot

Steve,I think Tony meant the _565 after the texture size (i.e. maxTexture256 is the 32 bit while the maxTexture256_565 is the 16 bit).My recommendation is that you start Fly!, press the TAB twice to get the debug information that shows the texture slots in use. Then slew around and take note of the values on the Unique Hits row when your FPS drop to undesirable levels. At this point you can either post the results here and we'll help you out or you can do it yourself using the following tool:http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=12603Let us know how you make out.Good luck!Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTFly! II Beta Team MemberAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMMSI GeForce4 Ti4600 8xAGP 128MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USBhttp://home.earthlink.net/~finsdad/FlyII/p..._aamigorena.jpg

Guest BOB_J

Lines are differents because users and scenery creators preferences are differents... The lines you've seen in my render is only for test purpose, as any render, and you can, you should customize, so don't shoot at the pianist too often.In fact I've recently push the 256 to 35, to face a cold bad weather at Geneva-Cointrin, without any hot wine or Genepi after landing to resume the stress of the suddent fps drop*.So it work for every situation I've encountered now, but I haven't go everywhere (... in the simulator, hi!). In a few words : one should use the good old "cut and try" method : go to the most heavily populated places (in 3d models) of "your" world, at night, place a good layer of nasty clouds at tree level, see the results on the debug screen, and trim to the point that everything run fine, that's all!In fact, a great number of reserved slot may be usefull... just one time! Tony is right when he said that 1024 textures are rarities, a friend of mine had even seen a "4" condition somewhere, but maybe in network flying conditions, external view... Concerning the 32 (and even 64) slots, memory "burning" is pretty low, so don't care about this, you can be generous, just to be sure.I'm at max. with radiuses, hi-res textures of course, AA2, Aniso4 and the 4Ti4400 (300/300) with Barton at 2.1GHz, 1Go and I have no less than 30 in the middle of the big cloud layer (get out of there, folks) from around 70 with panel to round 110 in full "panoramic" frontal view, B200, std scenery, and I don't know what stutter is, so if you have stutter and much less fps, it's logical to think at other(s) system related issues.The question is : can it be cured or no? Most of the time, yes, even if some northbridge and graphic cards are reluctant to work together.Don't expect any improvement with directX the 9th, FLY! don't use the new "facilities" of the later! * For newbies, no need to quit FLY! : CTRL-Echap, modify the render "on the fly" and go. The debug don't show the new allocated numbers, I think it reminds me, but parameters are reloaded and FLY! take account of them.

Guest tonyc

Sorry, I meant 565 , as noted already.tony

Steve:You may find this file reduces stutter. I have the same video card and I find this file works pretty well on most scenery situations. I am using 4xS FSAA on the card with the middle-level performance settings. I find image quality to be outstanding.Hope this helps.-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Excellent tip....* For newbies, no need to quit FLY! : CTRL-Echap, modify the render "on the fly" and go. The debug don't show the new allocated numbers, I think it reminds me, but parameters are reloaded and FLY! take account of them. I didn't know this and this will save loads of time!-DK----David KohlFly! II v2.5.240Dell 8200 P4/1.8G, 1024MB RAM, Nvidia GF4 Ti4600 v44.03, WinXP Home Edition SP1.CH Pro Pedals and Yoke USB.

Guest richpress

While we are on the subject of the render ini file what is the the interpretation of "Max hits" as against "Unique hits" in the debug?