Sign in to follow this  
Pascal_LSGC

Terrascene

Guest richpress

I have been using Terrascene 2.1 and propose producing 4 projects which will overlap each other slightly. Is there any problem with this?Being such big files I propose to copy the pod files to CD to free up HD space until needed. Will it be OK to leave the data files intact or should I include them on the CD as well?The work is in the Portland area and will extend from Mt St Helens to the coast.The results so far with one pod file completed are spectacular.

Guest Colins2

Rich,Why must the projects overlap?If you create scenery in Globe Tiles then they shouldn't overlap.There may be a problem with Fly! displaying the pods correctly.I guess you would only get 1 pod per CD if they are globe tile size.Once the data has been podded then there is no need for the files in the /data folder, indeed, you should get rid of them. Fly! works much better when reading pod files.You can read the data (pods) from CD and not have it on your HD at all but generally it is slower that way.The only thing to be wary of is if you have placed models in your scenery or custom taxiways etc.Colin

Guest richpress

Thanks for that.There is always something to learn. I guess the only reason to keep the projects smaller than a globe tile is the download time. Maybe I could do it by using quarter tiles. Richard.

Guest richpress

Up until now I have rendered single projects only and have been happy with the results.I have now tried to render two adjacent quarter tiles.The first quater tile viewed OK but on completion of the other only the first seem to be recognised by Fly2.Is there something I ommitted to do in the process? Also where does Terrascene store the downloaded files? Despite deleting the output files If I bring up a saved project and press the render button the programme goes straight in to the render process without downloading any files. Obviously it has stored these somewhere.

Hi Rich!Your problem with adjascent quarter tiles is a known issue. Maybe it's possible to tweak the scf file going along with the pod. I never tried this, don't know if it would work in your case.However, it's much better to render one full tile each time and not divide into quarter tiles. Furthermore, don't try to render multiple tiles in a single pass, there might be some problems too.Your can stock your .pod files on cd rom (join the .scf) and reinstall them later without problem. The datas TS downloads are only used for the rendering and are kept inside the Terrascene/data-files/usgs folder. TS downloads some datas that overlap neighbour tiles, it's the reason why it didn't download much for your second quarter tile.One more thing I suppose you are aware: always delete the folders created inside Fly!II/data/ during the process (look at the date). They duplicate what's inside the pod and slow down everything. Just a reminder for anyone who needs it. :-)Cheers!Pascal